Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » room and amp questions
room and amp questions [message #95563] Sat, 30 April 2022 10:27 Go to next message
mrwill2112 is currently offline  mrwill2112
Esquire
seeing how I am a neophyte... I would ask of those who know more than me.
I have a listening room that measures 10x14 (was an office) it is used for movies once in a blue moon... But mostly for music. What would be your recommendations on speakers? with the understanding that I like Rush at not quite ear bleeding levels...
I am currently using a pioneer elite vsx94thx amp to drive the curent crap (polk) do I need to get exotic tube amps?? I am not against it but my wife is... sooo
Re: room and amp questions [message #95564 is a reply to message #95563] Sat, 30 April 2022 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Also, I am looking at the 4 pi and 6 pi...
Re: room and amp questions [message #95567 is a reply to message #95564] Sat, 30 April 2022 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I always recommend constant directivity cornerhorns for rooms that can support them, and our DI-matched two ways with flanking subs for rooms that can't.

Rooms that work well with our cornerhorns have two corners with unobstructed walls extending from each side of both corners and allow the listeners to sit behind the place where the axes cross.
Re: room and amp questions [message #95570 is a reply to message #95567] Sat, 30 April 2022 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thank you Wayne, so since I have blank walls for 10 feet each way, sixes it is!
Re: room and amp questions [message #95571 is a reply to message #95563] Sat, 30 April 2022 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Once again, beginner questions, does the sixes kit make 1 speaker or 2? Very Happy

Since I am upgrading the woofer to the B&C, and the compression driver and the resistors and the inductors... How much extra value sound wise do the Auricaps make vs the Jantzen Z caps? And the flat pack for the mid horn sounds like a no brainer.
Re: room and amp questions [message #95572 is a reply to message #95571] Sat, 30 April 2022 19:29 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Kits include parts to build one loudspeaker. They include the speaker drivers, the connector panel, hook up wires, "π" logo decal and a printed copy of the plans. For larger speakers that incorporate a compression tweeter and crossover network, kits also include the crossover, Zobel woofer damper, and all cable assemblies are completed and ready to install. Every kit containing a compression driver also includes the horn flare and the bolts to mount the driver to the horn.

As for the upgrade questions, please see the Pi Speakers FAQ, specifically the section called "Models, Upgrades and Driver Characteristics." It has a couple links about options and upgrades that will probably help you decide what you want.
Previous Topic: 6 PI plans Please
Next Topic: 4Pi - alternate compression driver mounting?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:52:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio