Home » Audio » General » Will Folk Music Gradually Fade?
Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #94742] Sat, 06 November 2021 00:14 Go to next message
Phonetic Ear is currently offline  Phonetic Ear
Baron
Don't you think this genre might fade if it doesn't receive the attention it deserves? It is the kind of music you won't find in mainstream music. There's also the factor of the availability of musical instruments. Companies might close down with limited customers. What's the outlook on this music genre?
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #94744 is a reply to message #94742] Sat, 06 November 2021 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It may never reach it's heyday as it was in the 1960's but like other genres such as bluegrass should be maintained by a smaller segment of society. There is no loss of availability to find and listen to many old genres of music today. Much more than ever I'd recon. I don't think there's any lack of acoustic instruments being made yet.
There's a certain charm to old timey music. Like old Gid Tanner & His Skillet Lickers.
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #94772 is a reply to message #94742] Wed, 10 November 2021 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Fade completely? No way! It will never be as popular as it once was, but it's too easy to store digital music on the cheap for any genre to become extinct. Folk music will always be around.
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #94773 is a reply to message #94742] Thu, 11 November 2021 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Souldude is currently offline  Souldude
Viscount
Thanks to the internet, there may even be a forum for folk music. I don't think modernity will overpower traditional music. One of the reasons is the competitions held for that. It might even trend as soon as it gains attention.
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #94781 is a reply to message #94742] Thu, 11 November 2021 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LCallan is currently offline  LCallan
Baron
It's still pretty popular in some places like the Appalachian Region. Besides, it seems like popular genres are cyclical. What once was old will come back into popularity. It might be slightly modernized, though.
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #95402 is a reply to message #94742] Fri, 18 March 2022 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spotifier is currently offline  Spotifier
Baron
I bet it won't fade because genres also have a long history. Some things about it might change since it happens that society is also a factor when making music. However, folk music won't disappear just like that.
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #95406 is a reply to message #95402] Fri, 18 March 2022 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I doubt it will fade either. A lot now is listed in the "pop" category. It may evolve a bit, but as long as there are folks that like it, it will continue. One thing related is that many of the musicians of the folk genre have passed away. The newer ones are not familiar to many older listeners. Some still are doing music....Emily Harris, Mark Knofler, Judy Collins, etc. New groups like Blue Mountain, Monsters of Folk and several from Canada sound a lot like folk music to me. I was there in the early 60s and saw several of them live.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #95409 is a reply to message #94742] Mon, 21 March 2022 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
Folk won't die. There will always be an audience for that. If you gave Bob Dylan an acoustic guitar to play one of his newer songs on, it would be folk music.
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #95471 is a reply to message #94742] Sun, 03 April 2022 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
I don't think folk music will fade. It reached its peak in the 60's when someone gave a 50's beatnik a guitar, but even then it wasn't mainstream. It was just a new form of music that drew an audience. It will always be that, really.
Re: Will Folk Music Gradually Fade? [message #95551 is a reply to message #94742] Sat, 23 April 2022 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
What's odd is that I don't want to listen to it, at least not the primitive stuff, but I don't want it to disappear either. I guess because it's part of our history.
Previous Topic: BF equipment deals?
Next Topic: The Black Friday Sales
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:58:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout