Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Your Heavy Rotation Right Now
Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #95510 is a reply to message #95509] Sun, 10 April 2022 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Tulsa drive-in is called "Admiral Twin" and it's still in operation and still awesome. I love that place! It was shown in the movie "The Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton. The Admiral Twin Drive-In movie theater was the location for many scenes in that movie.
Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #95511 is a reply to message #95510] Sun, 10 April 2022 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
There's still at least a couple movie drive-ins where I live. They supplement income by being swap shops now days.
But I was referring to the old style drive-in restaurants. They were the mecca for kids and cars. Rear ends tipped up with the fat slicks and mag wheels, which were the requirement for any self styled greaser putting on a show in the parking lot. Inching along while the fat rear end tires were scorching the black top.
Sidney's, that was the premier one. Straight outta American Graffiti.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5c/74/cd/5c74cd5ec3df7f630ef67f65cc423451.jpg
Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #95512 is a reply to message #95511] Sun, 10 April 2022 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh yeah, those! Definitely!

In Tulsa, the place like that I remember best was Pennington's. We still have Sonic Drive-Ins everywhere, and that's super-cool, but they're just not the same. They've kept the drive-in stalls, which is cool, but they've lost the nostalgic drive-in look somehow.

Pennington's Drive-In Restaurant was on Peoria, back when that was "the strip." But Peoria was two-lanes, so by 1980, it was a parking lot. Seemed like overnight - in around 1980 - everyone shifted to Memorial Drive, which was a four-lane road.

In both cases - Peoria or Memorial - the restaurants and parking lots facing the road on either side were filled with parked cars and teenagers going back and forth between cars, talking and fooling around. Drivers on "the strip" went north a few miles and then turned around and went south, only to turn around and do it again. As you said above, it was just like the movie, "American Graffiti."

Some people hated that and thought the kids that hung out there were trouble. But the truth is most of the kids "hanging out" on the strip were good kids. They weren't afraid to show their face in public, which says something, if you think about it. Truly troubled youth don't hang out in public.

Same is true today, in my opinion. And I still see kids hangin' out on Memorial Drive so that renews my hope that the youth aren't totally lost...
Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #95514 is a reply to message #95512] Sun, 10 April 2022 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

While we're on a drive-in kick here, I gotta mention a couple of my favorite places in "your neck of the woods."

When I come into Kansas City, I love to go to Winstead's and to Town Topic. Winstead's still has the same old "drive-in" look, so I think that's cool. It's on a busy road, but it isn't really a "strip," as I recall. But Kelly and I went there a time or three and we love it. We love places like that.

And when I was commuting to Kansas City around 2010 - I did some work for a company called VML - which was right by Union Station. So I ate at Town Topic at least once a week. Kind of cracked me up that they had two restaurants well within a mile of each other. Heck, they're only a couple blocks apart! Not a drive-in, but still a little bit of history and I love that.
Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #95515 is a reply to message #95514] Sun, 10 April 2022 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes and yes. Though Winsteads as I fondly remember and have now given up on pretty much. Has languished from it's heyday. Nothin like it was, in quality and quantity. Town Topic I haven't gone to in some time either. I've been discouraged by the carnage to the restaurant business from the covid pandemic. So many just not able to weather the beating from lack of patronage. Such a slim margin they work under. One particular throwback to the classic diner here has closed which I lament greatly. The Leeds Diner. Just a simple blue collar restaurant that was good & plenty. So many diners and dives have become extinct. If our economy can ever stabilize to some semblance of normalcy though. They will come back. Working stiffs and aficionado's of good grub on the cheap will always prevail.

https://s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/KPBYmIYHfe75Ms-rFek1lg/o.jpg
Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #95844 is a reply to message #95515] Sun, 17 July 2022 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
This compilation album I acquired sometime back in the 70's. Gabe's Dirty Blues.

https://i.discogs.com/ZxNO6xBMgeiigtjQiKYIY0viCfSVU_V_NA6-aKRArsk/rs:fit/g:sm/q:90/h:600/w:600/czM6Ly9kaXNjb2dz/LWRhdGFiYXNlLWlt/YWdlcy9SLTQ1MzE0/NTQtMTQ4ODQ5MDI0/Mi0yOTM5LmpwZWc.jpeg

My introduction to classic not so subtle double entendre r&b from it's heyday from the late 40's throughout the 50's. With artists like Billy Ward & the Dominoes doing, 60 Minute Man and Wynonie Harris, Keep On Churning and Bull Moose Jackson singing of his preference for, I Want a Bow Legged Woman.
Timeless stuff. One of my most cherished and best vinyl purchases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwSPCZm61uk
Re: Your Heavy Rotation Right Now [message #95845 is a reply to message #95844] Sun, 17 July 2022 13:31 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Dude, that's awesome!
Previous Topic: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Next Topic: Rick Springfield and Men at Work
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:22:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio