Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Music On An Audiobook
Music On An Audiobook [message #94988] Wed, 22 December 2021 21:58 Go to next message
Csharp is currently offline  Csharp
Viscount
The vast majority of audiobooks do not have music in them. Be it for chapter breaks or start/endings.

But does anyone think that if you put music "underneath" the whole story at such a low frequency that it is barely discernable, that it could subconsciously affect the reader to like the story more?
Re: Music On An Audiobook [message #94989 is a reply to message #94988] Thu, 23 December 2021 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
Honestly I think it would annoy me. I love music but I like it quiet when I'm reading or listening to a book. I think music would distract me.
Re: Music On An Audiobook [message #94991 is a reply to message #94989] Fri, 24 December 2021 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think that's reserved for movies and television scores. Why as Csharp points out, clutter up your reading with unnecessary stimuli. Your mind can provide music if needed for a backdrop if it's written into the story. I don't even want books read to me.
Re: Music On An Audiobook [message #95403 is a reply to message #94991] Fri, 18 March 2022 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spotifier is currently offline  Spotifier
Baron
It never came to mind, but I'm worried I might get distracted from absorbing the main content. Besides, you won't be able to interpret the story in your way if there's background music.
Re: Music On An Audiobook [message #95492 is a reply to message #94988] Tue, 05 April 2022 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
There is another conversation here about binaural beats, and my mind went immediately to that. People who write lyrics typically have a tempo with the lines and stanzas they write. If the binaural beats are complementary to that..........who knows?
Re: Music On An Audiobook [message #95497 is a reply to message #94988] Tue, 05 April 2022 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
If you want to put music in an otherwise verbal podcast, why make it indiscernible? People might think it's subliminal messaging and get freaked out.

Just make it the decibel equivalent of elevator music.
Re: Music On An Audiobook [message #95535 is a reply to message #94988] Sun, 17 April 2022 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phonetic Ear is currently offline  Phonetic Ear
Baron
I like to focus on the words and content of the book. Having a music background will take the fun out of the audiobook for me. I won't be able to interpret the work the way I want it if there are other sounds.
Re: Music On An Audiobook [message #95536 is a reply to message #95535] Mon, 18 April 2022 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, interesting. As I recall (possibly flawed by the huge passage of time Rolling Eyes ) there was an issue with this with early televison commercials. Both audio and video. A subliminal message was placed in the audio track suggesting that you buy the product. Similarily a single video screen was stuck in some commercials saying the same thing. A single frame was not obviously noticed by the viewer..but the brain made note of it. There was a lot of uproar and the practice was stopped. I don't know if it was made illegal or just that the comapnies that did it were sued etc. An early attempt at mind control.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Music On An Audiobook [message #95547 is a reply to message #95536] Thu, 21 April 2022 22:26 Go to previous message
Souldude is currently offline  Souldude
Viscount
gofar99 wrote on Mon, 18 April 2022 21:10
Hi, interesting. As I recall (possibly flawed by the huge passage of time Rolling Eyes ) there was an issue with this with early televison commercials. Both audio and video. A subliminal message was placed in the audio track suggesting that you buy the product. Similarily a single video screen was stuck in some commercials saying the same thing. A single frame was not obviously noticed by the viewer..but the brain made note of it. There was a lot of uproar and the practice was stopped. I don't know if it was made illegal or just that the comapnies that did it were sued etc. An early attempt at mind control.

Now that was sneaky. Commercials have those loud sounds so no one would notice if there were some subtle background music. Sounds are just that important cause they can easily change how you perceive stuff. Hearing this furthers my opinion that I wouldn't like an audiobook with background music.
Previous Topic: Binaural Beats
Next Topic: Watching old movies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:20:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout