Home » Audio » Source » What is the most important part of record playing?
Re: What is the most important part of record playing? [message #95354 is a reply to message #94334] Tue, 08 March 2022 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
My vote goes for the turntable itself. Just the roundtable portion of it all. That's all. If that goes bad, the wallet gets sad and the needle can't sing.

Re: What is the most important part of record playing? [message #95359 is a reply to message #95354] Wed, 09 March 2022 10:46 Go to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Of course the source material is important and how well it was put together. But if a record is compromised from misuse, or a bad pressing. You can usually find a replacement that is acceptable. Unless a rare item. But for the most part replaceable. Any part of the equipment chain though that calls attention to itself and not the music it's suppose to transform into what we hear is not doing it's job proper. Of the turntables I've had only one has managed to meet that requirement. The Technics 1200.
Years ago I had a cheap belt drive Technics turntable. Plastic plinth an all. But it had a speed adjustment servo and strobe. I got to the point that I could tell when the speed was drifting before I looked at the strobe and correct it. From then on I became more attuned to speed drift affecting playback. Years later I found a used Rega table locally for a good price. I thought I was movin on up in quality. Some aspects were higher quality, but the overwhelming damnation of the thing was I couldn't adjust it's speed drift. It also had a preponderance to feedback being added through the tonearm. An investment in the 1200 solved all that and more being so easily set up and able to mount different carts easily with minimal adjustments. The main thing being though was it disappeared basically from music playing.
There's of course other turntables capable of the same. And for me what's important spinning them platters.
Previous Topic: What happened with wire recorders?
Next Topic: Cassettes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:41:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout