Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Converting Studio 2Pis to a 'Plus" configuration
Converting Studio 2Pis to a 'Plus" configuration [message #95303] Fri, 25 February 2022 12:21 Go to next message
Skip Pack is currently offline  Skip Pack
Baron
Wayne,
Have you or anyone added your standard newer horn and compression drivers to a Studio 2Pi box and 10" driver. You do use this combination in the 8Pis, but that's a different setup. I would think an adjustment to your 3Pi/4Pi crossover could make it work. Totally out of balance economically for a new build, but it could be nice as a conversion project for already built speakers: a nice upgrade.

Thanks,
Skip
Re: Converting Studio 2Pis to a 'Plus" configuration [message #95304 is a reply to message #95303] Fri, 25 February 2022 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right, you could do it. But it's just so bass-shy without the large rear chamber.

The eight π loudspeaker has response-tailoring that attenuates the midhorn but then bypasses the attenuator with a coil to balance the bass and midrange. It's a lot like attenuating a horn tweeter to match a direct radiator.

You can use the same approach with a smaller rear chamber, but there's just less down low to handoff with the augmentation coil. So like anything else, it's a tradeoff that becomes a question of balance.
Re: Converting Studio 2Pis to a 'Plus" configuration [message #95307 is a reply to message #95303] Fri, 25 February 2022 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip Pack is currently offline  Skip Pack
Baron
I think I didn't quite convey my concept. Rather than convert to the midhorn with the bass contoured in by the huge inductor, I am thinking of using the 2Pi BR box alignment unaltered in the existing boxes, and building in the tweeter and it's horn where the dome tweets sit presently.

I could use a new crossover based on your existing 2-way boards. This mostly would involve modifying the low-pass section to match the 10" alignment up with the HF components. I'd call it a 2.5Pi, Maybe.
Re: Converting Studio 2Pis to a 'Plus" configuration [message #95315 is a reply to message #95307] Sat, 26 February 2022 11:01 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, gotcha. Yes, you could do that.
Previous Topic: Recessed baffle and speaker grills
Next Topic: 3 Pi plan request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:43:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio