Home » Audio » General » A Really Inexpensive Tweak
Re: What problem does that fix? [message #953 is a reply to message #950] Tue, 12 October 2004 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You're right Dean. I lot of the vibration that a CDP would typically be exposed to are minor. But my main point is that the process of retreiving data from a disk is mechanical in nature and that unwanted vibration can have an impact on its ability to do it properly.

Although I have come across CDP where its own vibrations were anything but minor. Noisy motor and transformers gave it a nice mechanical hum all its own. But then again, in that situation, you should look into getting a new unit rather than trying to damp it.

BTW, one article I found said that actual music content on a CD only represents 30% of the information stored on a disk. The other 70% are for error management.

Gar.

Re: Loose screws? [message #954 is a reply to message #952] Tue, 12 October 2004 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I bet I know which screw sounded best. The one that costed the most and the manufacturer was able to pay the most in advertising dollars to audio review magazines.

Re: What problem does that fix? [message #956 is a reply to message #949] Tue, 12 October 2004 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You're right about the storage of digital media - The read/write heads are all analog. Magnetic, optical, whatever - This is an analog world and digital information is simply a quantified representation of it that's easy to reliably store, process and transmit in a consistent manner. No matter what you're doing, if you process something digitally, it has to first be converted from analog and then at the end, it has to be converted back to analog. In fact, many digital circuits are just like analog ones that are made to be used either in saturation or cutoff, but nowhere in between. The simplicity of that arrangement is what makes it robust.

Actual Music Content [message #958 is a reply to message #953] Wed, 13 October 2004 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
A few years ago I took a course in error correction. I could not remember if the actual data was 60% or 40%. Since you have a 70% figure, I suspect that the actual data is between 30% and 40%. Kind of amazing, isn't it! As I recall, there was one scheme upon another for checking the data at various levels. Some of the 60 or 70 percent may have been formatting for addressing, but a huge amount was redundancy.

Re: Loose screws? [message #959 is a reply to message #952] Wed, 13 October 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Your isolation table is worthless, however, if the case sides resonate!!!! ;)

What are the wooden balls supposed to do? Are they under the granite slab or over it?

I can see a granite slab sitting on top of a piece of foam or rubber, but not on wooden balls!

All this makes some sense - in a wierd, tweaky way - for turntables, but for cd players????

Ok, I apologize [message #960 is a reply to message #947] Wed, 13 October 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Sorry.

My "loose screw" comment was not very nice to make at a guy who was just trying to be helpful by giving an inexpensive tweak.

I can see that if you spent a lot of money for a granite slab, you certainly would not want any vibrations in the case, and you would appreciate the suggestion for an inexpensive cure, since you had already spent all that money on the granite slab...

Granite Slab [message #961 is a reply to message #960] Wed, 13 October 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
No offense taken. Another cheap tweak: That "expensive" 18X12X3" granite slab sells for $36.95 from Enco Tools at the link below. It's product #640-0422 in their catalog. It weighs a hefty 80#, so the shipping is another $40. If it's not clear in the picture, the slab has two "ledges" which are resting on a set of four Dayton isolation cones (msrp $20). Like the floor tiles, I really don't know if it does anything, but it's pretty kewl looking.

Re: A Really Inexpensive Tweak [message #962 is a reply to message #941] Wed, 13 October 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I got one; I use these slate interior floor tiles supported by 3/4lb lead fishing weights, the tri-corner type placed on top of these cheap telephone pads. I put this contraption on top of all surfaces. The Lead weights stay in place pointy side up, the slate tiles are about 4"x4" and they sit on top of the fishing weights (or sinkers for you fresh water guys). I put the telephone pads under the sinkers to prevent scratching. Total cost, about 1$ per resonance sink. Another is Sears sells these rollar bearings made of teflon that sit in a teflon cup. They come in different sizes and work well under all CD or amp chassis. About 1$& 15c each.
The best one of all is using threaded rod and a cross brace to make a square frame. Then getting chair webbing and using the threaded rod: stretching the chair webbing taught, then sitting the component on top of the stretched web; total isolation.(Sounds like Americas current foriegn policy) J.R.

Worthless and pround of it [message #963 is a reply to message #959] Wed, 13 October 2004 09:51 Go to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I get the tongue-in-cheek tone of your messsage, and I kind of agree. But for a few bucks here and there it really can't hurt. Can I tell a difference when I add one tweek? No. Can I tell a difference when all the tweeks are in place? Barely. Does it make me feel better? Yes

My system sits on a #100 (approx.) slate slab (1 x 24 x 48"). My CDP sits on 4 1.5" wooden balls. The balls fit in the recesses of the feet to allow for some lateral movement. My amp sits on an additional piece of granite (1.5 x 24 x 24") sitting on the slate; the two stones are separated by a rubber plate.......Colin

Previous Topic: A Semi-Audio-Related Question
Next Topic: Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. Next Week in Denver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 02:14:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout