Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Guitar for tweens
Guitar for tweens [message #95041] Wed, 05 January 2022 15:26 Go to next message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
My coworker has six children. They want to start a band! She is looking for guitars and a drum set. Does anyone have any tips or brands that I can share with her.
Re: Guitar for tweens [message #95046 is a reply to message #95041] Wed, 05 January 2022 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LCallan is currently offline  LCallan
Baron
I don't play, but I wonder if it would be better if she rented the instruments first. It sounds like a huge investment to purchase that many instruments when she's not sure if they'll stick with it.
Re: Guitar for tweens [message #95049 is a reply to message #95046] Thu, 06 January 2022 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
A pair of noise cancelling headphones for their practice sessions.
Re: Guitar for tweens [message #95053 is a reply to message #95049] Thu, 06 January 2022 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Hey, that's great! I'm a strummer and a drummer, so this is right up my alley. I teach kids to play, and I've seen it make a huge difference to some children. Learning how to play gives them something to work towards and something to be proud of. It's a good life skill. I'm glad she's encouraging them.

As far as brands go, I'm fond of Fender and Yamaha for acoustic guitars for beginners and Pearl and Yamaha for a beginner drum kit. However, the best thing you can do in the beginning is just to get something in their hands. Rent it, borrow it, buy it, whatever - have them take a few lessons, learn some skills, then go from there.

Re: Guitar for tweens [message #95057 is a reply to message #95041] Fri, 07 January 2022 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
Thank you @ Strum Drum. I love that she encourages her children. They are homeschooled and she has them in sports and now "band". I will pass the information onto her. She will be thrilled!
Re: Guitar for tweens [message #95092 is a reply to message #95041] Tue, 18 January 2022 10:29 Go to previous message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
Yeah, in the beginning, the brand isn't that important. Buy them the "Guitar" brand and tell them that the greats started cheap. Springsteen's first guitar was a Japanese model bought at a used music store.
Previous Topic: Instrument Tuners
Next Topic: Sound Production in the Rain
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:53:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout