Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3Pi Flat Packs
Re: 3Pi Flat Packs [message #95022 is a reply to message #92711] Sun, 02 January 2022 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have some very good news!

The cabinet shop has worked out the cut sheets and pricing for three π flat-pack kits!

They're available on the shopping cart right now:
What's really cool is the flat-pack kits come in three options, rather than two:

1. Surface mount
2. Flush mount
3. Recessed grille, like shown below

Grille frames are also available for the third option. The grille fabric isn't supplied - you must add your own - but that lets you choose a color and pattern that matches your wood grain and finish.

https://pispeakers.com/threePi.jpg
Re: 3Pi Flat Packs [message #95039 is a reply to message #95022] Wed, 05 January 2022 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Genifer Teal is currently offline  Genifer Teal
Esquire
What are the dimensions of this cabinet?I think I saw 20x30x14
Does the grill option include the outer material as in the picture or just the grille to fit inside the lighter color recessed area?
Is the first cabinet option just holes cut for the drivers.
I have borrowed a router(for another purpose)How easy is it to make the recess to flush mount the drivers?
How is that recessed area created on the front? The U shape? Is that part of the kit design?
What is currently available? Looking for 3 flat packs maybe with B&C drivers.
Would a QSC DCA 1824 Power 3 of these ok? do I need more power like the DCA 1644?
Are these speakers too nice for those amps?
Re: 3Pi Flat Packs [message #95043 is a reply to message #95039] Wed, 05 January 2022 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The three π loudspeaker sounds good with any high-quality amplifier over 10 watts. I've actually run them on amps with as little as 1.5 watts output capacity and they sound good. But I think they lack dynamic range with that small of an amplifier.

Most people using them for home theater run at least 100 watts, but some are satisfied with less. As I said, 10 watts is the minimum I would recommend.

Dimensions are 30"x20"x14".

The surface mount option has mounting holes for the midwoofer and waveguide. This option has a plain flat baffle.

Flush mounting requires the baffle to be routed, creating a grooved edge for the driver and the waveguide to fit into. It also requires extra material on the back of the baffle in these areas to provide extra strength and depth for mounting hardware.

The grille option just includes the grille frame. You must add the fabric. The grille option(s) are what are shown in the photo above, although the grille itself isn't shown, just the baffle.

The grille fits flush into the recessed area of the baffle when the "recessed baffle" option is chosen. Surface mount and flush mount options don't include this feature. But the "recessed grille" option includes flush mount routing for the driver and waveguide.

All options are acoustically equivalent - all sound the same - and the differences are purely aesthetic.

These kits are available now. The cabinet shop would ship within a week or so.
Re: 3Pi Flat Packs [message #95047 is a reply to message #95043] Wed, 05 January 2022 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Genifer Teal is currently offline  Genifer Teal
Esquire
Sounds like if I want to make the front all smooth fabric, I should choose option 1 or 2. I would need to make my own 20x30 frame.
Re: 3Pi Flat Packs [message #95050 is a reply to message #95047] Thu, 06 January 2022 09:00 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, that's right.
Previous Topic: Flat pack kits
Next Topic: 2226h upgrade?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:54:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio