Home » Audio » General » Old Music's Appeal
Old Music's Appeal [message #94529] Thu, 30 September 2021 23:00 Go to next message
Spotifier is currently offline  Spotifier
Baron
It's nice how age doesn't matter when it comes to liking music. I've seen younger people who preferred listening to old songs. I'm not sure if I can say the same with older people's taste, though. Do they like today's music?
Re: Old Music's Appeal [message #94537 is a reply to message #94529] Fri, 01 October 2021 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
They do get a bit critical of contemporary tunes. Being one of them critters, I find a lot of what I hear in commercial contemporary music to be highly contrived in formula. And executed with too much emphasis with electronic aids, (auto tune). But, there's always good music being made. I just doesn't get realized sometimes for decades. I listen at times to a community radio station that plays contemporary music, off the beaten path. Just the other day I looked up a catchy tune from a group in the 80's I'd never heard. Unearthed by this radio station. A Brit band called Orange Juice, and a song called Rip It Up. Just a catchy 80's pop song, nothing heavy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoqoxCr4054
You never know when and where you'll hear something you like. Just watching casually a YouTube clip of an old movie with a musical background replacing the dialogue I found a tune that struck me of an artist I knew of but hadn't followed for awhile. A collaboration with Ry Cooder and a Cuban artist Manuel Galban, producing some interesting music you simply don't hear on commercial sources.
La Luna en tu mirada
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d3rLLHLyX8
Re: Old Music's Appeal [message #94547 is a reply to message #94529] Sun, 03 October 2021 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Souldude is currently offline  Souldude
Viscount
I'm not that updated with today's music, but forcibly high songs are not appealing. Some musicians increase the pitch to a high level even when it's not necessary. The melody ends up getting ruined.
Re: Old Music's Appeal [message #94565 is a reply to message #94537] Tue, 05 October 2021 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Rusty wrote on Fri, 01 October 2021 11:10
T A collaboration with Ry Cooder and a Cuban artist Manuel Galban, producing some interesting music you simply don't hear on commercial sources.
La Luna en tu mirada
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d3rLLHLyX8
Yeah, Ry Cooder has made some interesting music over the decades. Count me as a fan.

Here's my take on this: Back in the day, what you heard on the radio is what we now consider the best of those eras and the types of music some kids these days like. In contrast, if you want to find music these days that is of the same caliber, you have to shut off the radio and get out the shovel.

What came through the airwaves 40 years ago, you have to dig for now.

Good stuff is out there, you just have to work to find it.
Re: Old Music's Appeal [message #94575 is a reply to message #94565] Fri, 08 October 2021 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zart is currently offline  Zart
Baron
Kingfish wrote on Tue, 05 October 2021 21:38

Does that include new Indie songs? I think they would have a different approach to music since they're not mainstream. They also don't prioritize their music to get sold, which comes to the thought that they'd be more original and free from conforming to the audience's demand.
Re: Old Music's Appeal [message #94579 is a reply to message #94529] Fri, 08 October 2021 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
I absolutely love it when I hear young kids enjoying and singing along to the music I grew up with. I automatically think that their parents are awesome. I too listen to a lot of older "before my time" music. I also listen to a lot of music from today too.
Re: Old Music's Appeal [message #94873 is a reply to message #94529] Wed, 08 December 2021 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Music and time is an interesting marriage. Looking back when you're young and looking forward as you get older to find new music that sounds old.

Robert Plant comes to mind. The younger kids like his Led Zeppelin stuff, while the older crowd who grew up with him has discovered that he is still making music and is still good at it. "New" music as it were.
Re: Old Music's Appeal [message #94915 is a reply to message #94575] Tue, 14 December 2021 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Zart wrote on Fri, 08 October 2021 01:40
Kingfish wrote on Tue, 05 October 2021 21:38

Does that include new Indie songs? I think they would have a different approach to music since they're not mainstream. They also don't prioritize their music to get sold, which comes to the thought that they'd be more original and free from conforming to the audience's demand.
One could argue that new music by John Mellencamp is indie music because it fits the criteria of the definition you posted. It isn't mainstream because mainstream stations don't pick it up, he doesn't care if a lot gets sold and he creates what comes to him naturally. It's a hobby for him at this point in his career.

The definition of indie music centers on the music and its relation to the industry, not the person creating it or their status in the industry.

IMO.
Re: Old Music's Appeal [message #94921 is a reply to message #94529] Wed, 15 December 2021 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
I agree with that definition. People like to pigeonhole indie music as being a certain type, but in reality, it's the industry itself that determines what is "indie" by the way they treat it on their end.
Re: Old Music's Appeal [message #95574 is a reply to message #94529] Sun, 01 May 2022 23:13 Go to previous message
Beck is currently offline  Beck
Viscount
Old music is something I find sincere because it doesn't have this competitive atmosphere to them. I also like that the songs don't have to have high notes to be considered appealing. The chill vibe it has is calming in itself.
Previous Topic: Right age for music lessons
Next Topic: Humidity and Sound problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:06:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout