Home » Audio » Source » Digital music hoarding
Digital music hoarding [message #93245] Thu, 04 March 2021 13:20 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Like many folks, I've amassed a large collection of digital music. It's slowly become difficult to keep it organized. What type of software or personal system do you use for cataloging and tagging your music so that you can easily find what you're looking for? How do you weed out duplicates? What do you use for storing backups?
Re: Digital music hoarding [message #93264 is a reply to message #93245] Sun, 07 March 2021 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I used to spend hours sorting my music and movie files and everything would be perfect until the software went out of date, my laptop failed, or something needed to be updated which made things incompatible. Eventually I stopped bothering with it, partially because it was frustrating and partially because I find it unnecessary thanks to smart tech and AI. I store my backups in the cloud. I no longer keep physical copies of digital music.

Re: Digital music hoarding [message #93288 is a reply to message #93245] Wed, 10 March 2021 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vaiger is currently offline  Vaiger
Viscount
I catalog my music by genre and then make sub-categories for some genres. Like country. Slow country versus dark country. Same with rock music. Hair bands..... blues-based, etc....

As far as duplicating selections, the only times I do that is with something like Poison Girl by Chris Whitley which goes well with both my blue-based songs and general country music.
Re: Digital music hoarding [message #93433 is a reply to message #93245] Sun, 04 April 2021 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
You Tube's algorithms do the organizing for me. They are good at suggestions too. I have found good, quality music that way that I might not have found otherwise.
Re: Digital music hoarding [message #94724 is a reply to message #93245] Sun, 31 October 2021 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
AI is good Miami, but don't become too dependant on it. YouTube is my go-to for music as well, but sometimes they will throw in a suggestion that doesn't make any sense. I can listen to Bruce Springsteen all day, then all of a sudden I'll see a one-hit-wonder song from the 70's. Like.......What? Where did that come from?
Re: Digital music hoarding [message #94732 is a reply to message #94724] Sun, 31 October 2021 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I may be different (my wife thinks so Laughing ) anyhow I just use shuffle play most of the time. With a large digital library it works OK as they are songs I wanted to hear in the first place. If I get to one I don't want to hear at the time I just hit skip.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Digital music hoarding [message #94864 is a reply to message #93245] Mon, 06 December 2021 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Echo is currently offline  Echo
Baron
I am a bit old school, so I keep everything on my computer in different folders. I use a folder for the artist name, then subfolders for each album etc.
Re: Digital music hoarding [message #94886 is a reply to message #93245] Fri, 10 December 2021 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
One of the most effective ways I keep it organized is by going back and seeing which ones I don't want anymore, and trash them. After that, it's easier to re-organize because there aren't as many songs anymore.
Re: Digital music hoarding [message #94985 is a reply to message #93245] Tue, 21 December 2021 15:08 Go to previous message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
Wow, different folders for every musician - that's fantastic. I will admit that I have major OCD issues, but organizing music isn't one of my issues. I store it on the cloud, and it's a hot mess.
Previous Topic: The Intellectual People Podcast - Orchard Audio
Next Topic: Wide Spread RIAA Phono Stage Inaccuracies by Manufacturers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 06:11:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout