Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Going from Stereo pi4 to Home Theater (Center speaker options pi4 and subwoofer(s?))
Going from Stereo pi4 to Home Theater [message #94611] Tue, 12 October 2021 15:00 Go to next message
RLX is currently offline  RLX
Esquire
Hi,
I built the 4pi Pro many years back. Best speaker I ever heard and had. Now they serve as front speakers in a serious home theatre setup.

From the FAQ I gather that I need to build another pi4 (eminence drivers) for the center-speaker to make this sound right. The speaker will live behind the screen which is about about 3.5 metres wide. If this is correct, plans please Smile I fear over the years I lost the previous email (15 years..). Can I do away with the porting for the center? would make the building process easier?

Subwoofers needed as well, I gather 2 "small" 3pi subs are better than once 12pi sub for this purpose? the requirements are 20Hz properly audible, i.e earth shattering when required.

Many thanks,

Roland
Re: Going from Stereo pi4 to Home Theater [message #94613 is a reply to message #94611] Tue, 12 October 2021 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've picked all the right stuff.

I'd go with a center four Pi to match the right and left mains. You can delete the port on a center channel four Pi speaker, just center the tweeter. Use three Pi subs flanking each of the mains, and if you have room on the opposite side of the room, add one or two more there for modal smoothing.

I'll send plans so check your email.
Re: Going from Stereo pi4 to Home Theater [message #94614 is a reply to message #94613] Tue, 12 October 2021 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RLX is currently offline  RLX
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

Thanks a bunch, will check emails tomorrow.

Regards,

Roland
Re: Going from Stereo pi4 to Home Theater [message #94615 is a reply to message #94614] Tue, 12 October 2021 15:52 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

One last thing - if it has been 15 years - you probably want to upgrade the waveguides in the left and right mains. It's an inexpensive upgrade that's easy to install. The waveguides fit in the existing tweeter horn cutouts and there are only a couple crossover changes needed. You just remove one capacitor and add one resistor.
Previous Topic: 2-way Corner Speakers
Next Topic: 4 Pi plans please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:04:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout