Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » New Millett Hybrid Done!
New Millett Hybrid Done! [message #9429] Tue, 20 December 2005 09:18 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)

Ok, so it's not a full fledged tube amp, but it is my first foray into using tubes. It came out fairly nice and sounds great.

Re: New Millett Hybrid Done! [message #9430 is a reply to message #9429] Tue, 20 December 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oooh, that's sweeeeet!

Please post a full review when you get the chance.

Love the blue LED's by the way. Can't stand them on cars, but I love them on tube amps.

Re: New Millett Hybrid Done! [message #9431 is a reply to message #9430] Tue, 20 December 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks Wayne! I'll try to right a little review for it. I've attached a link if anyone wants to see more pictures of it.

Re: New Millett Hybrid Done! [message #9432 is a reply to message #9431] Tue, 20 December 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, I won't be writing a review if I spell like on that last post! College ejumacashun at work.

Re: New Millett Hybrid Done! [message #9435 is a reply to message #9429] Tue, 20 December 2005 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MQracing is currently offline  MQracing
Master
Very, very nice looking amp. Are those, by chance, Kilo International knobs that your using?

Also... tell us about your wood choices (what kinds)...

msl

Re: New Millett Hybrid Done! [message #9436 is a reply to message #9435] Tue, 20 December 2005 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The knobs are Guasti Wire knobs from Marvac Electronics. I actually got them for another project, but liked the way they looked on the Millett. The top is a 1.5" x 1/8" aluminum bar stock piece that "free floats" so I can get to the bias points. The wood on either side that holds the aluminum down is 1/4" zebrawood that I cut an edge groove in to overlap the metal. The box is bamboo (6"x9"x3"). It's not quite as nice as I'd hoped, but considering the tools I have to work with it came out nice enough.

Re: New Millett Hybrid Done! [message #9443 is a reply to message #9429] Wed, 21 December 2005 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Eddy is currently offline  Steve Eddy
Chancellor
Beautiful work!

I tend to prefer a "screwless" look but I think those thumb screws really work well with your design.

se

Re: New Millett Hybrid Done! [message #9445 is a reply to message #9443] Wed, 21 December 2005 20:28 Go to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks! I couldn't think of any other way to clamp down the wood pieces and make it easily accessible to adjust the bias. Later if I get ambitious or bored I might vent the bottom and move the bias trimmers to the bottom of the PCB so I wouldn't have to remove the top. I think if I were to do it again I would put a small panel meter someplace and put the test points and trimmers on the back panel so I'd never have to open it up.

Previous Topic: Powrtron
Next Topic: Pinging MQracing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:11:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout