Home » Audio » General » Gender on Sound Perception
Gender on Sound Perception [message #94359] Sat, 04 September 2021 01:42 Go to next message
Beck is currently offline  Beck
Viscount
People generally perceive sound differently, but gender might well as be a factor given biological differences. You can see how this variation manifests in music preferences and music production. It can also explain why an individual would get stressed more easily by certain sounds, while the opposite sex can shrug it off. Are there sounds that irritated you yet were taken lightly by others?
Re: Gender on Sound Perception [message #94360 is a reply to message #94359] Sat, 04 September 2021 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
If it exists, then I'd say it's due to societal expectations more than anything else. The only example I can think of is how men and women react when they hear a baby cry. Some men can even sleep right through it.
Re: Gender on Sound Perception [message #94363 is a reply to message #94360] Sat, 04 September 2021 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, There may be some differences, but not huge ones. I am inclined to agree with Madison that is cultural / social factors that are responsible for most of it.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Gender on Sound Perception [message #94366 is a reply to message #94359] Sat, 04 September 2021 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phonetic Ear is currently offline  Phonetic Ear
Baron
Yes, gender can be a factor, but experience has more impact on our auditory senses. I noticed that I became more tolerant of honking cars after spending more time on the street.
Re: Gender on Sound Perception [message #94394 is a reply to message #94359] Tue, 07 September 2021 01:31 Go to previous message
Acacia is currently offline  Acacia
Viscount
I recalled being more affected when our parents would shout while my siblings were so chill about it! It brings me to the thought that attention may be the better factor influencing sound perception regardless of gender.
Previous Topic: Ikea Kallox Shelf Unit for Record Storage
Next Topic: Hearing Better with Visuals
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:30:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout