Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Powrtron
Powrtron [message #9097] Fri, 22 July 2005 09:58 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I stared at the schematic and I see it is balanced input. Anyone have any experience with this circuit?

Re: Powrtron [message #9099 is a reply to message #9097] Fri, 22 July 2005 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
Can you tell me were to find it...John

Re: Powrtron [message #9100 is a reply to message #9099] Fri, 22 July 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes it's called Stan-white.org. He is a long winded guy but it is interesting stuff, he's a physicist designer, not an EE.

Re: Powrtron [message #9101 is a reply to message #9100] Sun, 24 July 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

His website was interesting, but I must admit that I was a little put off by some of his comments. For example, his "revelations" about reactance are elementary electronics, not something obscure or misunderstood. His comments that electrical engineers don't understand reactance is just plain arrogant. That's one of the first things they focus on and it's something no electrical engineer is likely to get wrong. Mr. Powertron isn't the first person to describe the effects of voltage sources, current sources and power sources and the way he talks about them as if he were revealing something new indicates he has isolated himself. So I'd take the rest of his comments with a grain of salt.

Re: Powrtron [message #9102 is a reply to message #9101] Sun, 24 July 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Without a doubt; whenever I see the word "revelations" I know to duck. Actually I sort of thought he might be a total crank but I am not knowledgable to discern this. I really don't care about his philosophy I just thought the amp was interesting so I posted in the hopes someone such as yourself would offer a comment. It is interesting reading though unless he talks too much old hat there of which I wouldn't know or be aware. Thanks for providing the checks and balances.
Oh; and BTW that is a balanced input, right? See there is a guy out there who is building PP pentode amps with Tuner tube drivers and damper diode PS filters. I thought maybe that is the circuit he copies.

Re: Powrtron [message #9103 is a reply to message #9101] Sun, 24 July 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Interesting old "eccentric" with knowledge, experience, and some strong opinions. I must confess that I had no patience to read all "Powrtron" articles, but I noticed the article about Williamson amp. Interestingly, a few days ago there was a debate about it on "rec.audio.tube" newsgroup, and through some argumented posts (Patrick Turner) critic by S. White is mostly abandoned.
I hope that his amps and speakers are better then his poetry...

Re: Powrtron [message #9104 is a reply to message #9102] Sun, 24 July 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No, it doesn't use balanced input. Balanced inputs use a complementary pair of signals. There is a single unbalanced input to the volume potentiometer R1 in his circuit. See the schematic below.

Re: Powrtron [message #9108 is a reply to message #9103] Mon, 25 July 2005 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
What do you think of the amp schematic?

Re: Powrtron [message #9116 is a reply to message #9108] Tue, 26 July 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well, very "sharp" input/inverter part, direct coupling to diff. driver, feedback...
To be honest, I never tried something like this and can`t comment on functionality/sound. But, I`m not that "hot" to try 3x12AU7 driver + UL 5881 output. My thinking is more on "big DHTs", class A, simple and "direct" driver/splitter with better tubes then 12AU7, no feedback amps.
I know that it`s an "indirect" answer, but I really can`t say more about amp I just look at schematic for couple of minutes - especially `cos it`s a commercial product.

Re: Powrtron [message #9428 is a reply to message #9108] Tue, 20 December 2005 06:38 Go to previous message
johnrobey is currently offline  johnrobey
Esquire
The schematic I have seen in the online articles seem to have some small errors in the value of the components. I have found more info in audiophile Magazine Volume 73.

Previous Topic: Volume knob for Stoetkit
Next Topic: New Millett Hybrid Done!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 00:18:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout