Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Volume knob for Stoetkit
Volume knob for Stoetkit [message #9406] Wed, 14 December 2005 08:38 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Anyone know where to get a really nice volume knob for the Stoetkit? I have all good parts in my Stoetkit except the volume knob. It's stock and it sucks. Squeeks and scratches when you turn it. I've cleaned it a zillion times and it doesn't help. It's annoying, especially since everything else about the amp is excellent. I've put off replacing it because it is way up in the chassis and you have to perform surgery to get it out. But as soon as I get Epstein's radio running, this volume knob swap is next. Looking for a good replacement that is physically and electrically compatible. Suggestions?

Re:Shoulda kept the Noble! [message #9407 is a reply to message #9406] Wed, 14 December 2005 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I 've got an Alps Black Beauty collecting dust, it's 1 1/4x1 1/2x
1 1/4. The Noble close but not as deep and also a $5 radio Shack that is stoopid good. Which one ya want?

Re:All are 50k [message #9408 is a reply to message #9407] Wed, 14 December 2005 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

what value do you need? audio taper? stereo pot? [message #9409 is a reply to message #9406] Wed, 14 December 2005 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MQracing is currently offline  MQracing
Master

Re: Volume knob for Stoetkit [message #9410 is a reply to message #9406] Wed, 14 December 2005 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi Wayne,
I have a stereo pot that uses series wired Roederstein resistors that is 47k ohm and also have a nice black knob that is about 1.5" in diameter.
I've had this volume pot for several years just lying around.
It was made by a company from Vancouver Washington called Quick Line.
I'll bring it to the meeting Saturday and you can take a look.
Norris

Re: Volume knob for Stoetkit [message #9411 is a reply to message #9406] Fri, 16 December 2005 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've had good luck with the Alps "Blue Velvet" pots, Wayne. I get mine over at the audio shop at tangentsoft.net. Like to try a "Black Velvet" sometime to compare the two as I hear they are also nice.

Thanks for the suggestions! [message #9426 is a reply to message #9406] Mon, 19 December 2005 08:46 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The volume knob in the stock unit is 250KΩ but a 100KΩ or 47KΩ part will probably work just fine. What may be more of a concern is physical, getting a part that will fit. It's a tight squeeze in there. I haven't had time to open it up and check the space available, but I remember that it's tight. I also remember it's going to be a pain in the ear to replace and I'll probably have to pull the PCB which means pulling loose every tube connection and basically rebuilding the whole amp. So it's probably gonna be a month or two before I can get around to it. But that scratchy knob really gets on my nerves...

Previous Topic: Questions for Douglas
Next Topic: Powrtron
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:43:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout