Home » Audio » General » Music Education
Music Education [message #83763] Sat, 22 October 2016 20:16 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
How important do you think getting educated in music is? If you think it's important, what type of education should be taught a student who wants to learn?
Re: Music Education [message #83786 is a reply to message #83763] Tue, 25 October 2016 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
This is quite a tricky question, considering that I went through an education system that made music education compulsory. I hated music but I loved playing the guitar.

I think that a curriculum that leans more towards music practicability would really be convenient.
Re: Music Education [message #83879 is a reply to message #83763] Fri, 04 November 2016 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cortney is currently offline  Cortney
Viscount
I think music should be learnt by choice, not as a compulsory subject in schools. You can't teach someone to become passionate and you certainly can't teach talent, so someone has to be talented already and then passionate enough to choose it for themselves in my opinion.
Re: Music Education [message #83931 is a reply to message #83763] Thu, 17 November 2016 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lizah is currently offline  Lizah
Master
I think that teaching music in school is important to an extent. Like Cortney said, it should be by choice. My daughter is in middle school right now and she is being forced to take either band or choir. There is no choice in the matter at all. Luckily, she actually likes music, but I'm sure there are kids that don't.
Re: Music Education [message #84115 is a reply to message #83879] Thu, 15 December 2016 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
Cortney wrote on Fri, 04 November 2016 22:05
I think music should be learnt by choice, not as a compulsory subject in schools. You can't teach someone to become passionate and you certainly can't teach talent, so someone has to be talented already and then passionate enough to choose it for themselves in my opinion.

That's a valid point, but teaching how music is socially, personally and emotionally important should be the way to go. They don't need to make the mechanics of music compulsory learning, only the effect it has on people.....which has been scientifically proven.
Re: Music Education [message #85307 is a reply to message #83763] Fri, 02 June 2017 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlayerNM is currently offline  PlayerNM
Chancellor
Music is being systematically deleted from out schools. Some schools think that the money to run those programs is not being utilized appropriately. I totally disagree. The facts show that children who receive music training have higher IQs. If that's not worth it, what is?
Re: Music Education [message #85345 is a reply to message #83763] Sun, 04 June 2017 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bert is currently offline  Bert
Baron
I wasn't introduced to my first music class until fourth grade, and it changed my life for the better. It's what lead me to playing in my middle school band.
Re: Music Education [message #85351 is a reply to message #83763] Sun, 04 June 2017 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WorkingWoman2017 is currently offline  WorkingWoman2017
Viscount
Absolutely children should be exposed and educated in music at an early age. If you will notice, most successful musicians started at an early age. It gives you time to find what you really want to play be it rock, classical, guitars or cellos.
Re: Music Education [message #85382 is a reply to message #85351] Thu, 08 June 2017 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caitlan is currently offline  Caitlan
Baron
This is a great topic. I think WorkingWoman2017 is completely right. Most people who are amazing at things started at a young age and music is no exception.
Re: Music Education [message #94118 is a reply to message #83763] Wed, 28 July 2021 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Raymond is currently offline  Raymond
Baron
I think that the schools that are getting rid of the fun classes like music and art are depriving kids of an important part of development. Learning how to play music is good for your brain and it's good for your mental health too! I think that more kids should get involved in music.
Previous Topic: Can AI Write Songs?
Next Topic: The Audio Round Table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:22:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout