Home » Audio » General » Hearing Better with Visuals
Hearing Better with Visuals [message #94072] Wed, 21 July 2021 00:47 Go to next message
Beck is currently offline  Beck
Viscount
Weirdly, it feels like I can hear better when I'm looking at something. Not necessarily subtitles, but watching a podcast helps me understand what they're explaining more than when I'm just listening to it. I find it challenging to absorb information when it's only from the audio. Then when watching a movie, I feel reassured better with the subtitles on. Do you have similar experiences?
Re: Hearing Better with Visuals [message #94075 is a reply to message #94072] Wed, 21 July 2021 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Sometimes I think visuals are a distraction from what is being said. I'll actually close my eyes or turn my back and listen to it again. My hearing hasn't been damaged though. I know plenty of folks who need to see the person's lips in order to best hear what is being said.
Re: Hearing Better with Visuals [message #94079 is a reply to message #94075] Wed, 21 July 2021 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Absolutely. Although I'm not a fan of subtitles, I think visuals add to the overall experience and aid in the transformation of information. That's especially true when it's a topic I don't know much about.
Re: Hearing Better with Visuals [message #94233 is a reply to message #94075] Sun, 15 August 2021 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Souldude is currently offline  Souldude
Viscount
I have the same experience with getting distracted, especially when the video is about a lecture or educational. I find it difficult to watch people talk on documentaries in an interview setting that I'd rather hear it as an audio.

Madison wrote on Wed, 21 July 2021 10:30
Sometimes I think visuals are a distraction from what is being said. I'll actually close my eyes or turn my back and listen to it again.
Re: Hearing Better with Visuals [message #94241 is a reply to message #94072] Mon, 16 August 2021 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zart is currently offline  Zart
Baron
Some people find it difficult to watch with subtitles because it distracts them from watching. In my case, it helps me understand what's going on, although I sometimes find myself reading too much instead of watching the whole thing.
Re: Hearing Better with Visuals [message #94398 is a reply to message #94072] Tue, 07 September 2021 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spotifier is currently offline  Spotifier
Baron
If it's in a language that I don't understand, there's no doubt that I'd be needing subtitles. It also depends on the movie because some films would have loud sound effects, yet you can't almost hear it when the characters would speak.
Re: Hearing Better with Visuals [message #94401 is a reply to message #94072] Tue, 07 September 2021 19:46 Go to previous message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
When I'm listening to something, the visuals are in my head. I was listening to a podcast in my car, and that's usually the way it goes. Radio is the same thing.

I can live without a T.V. I don't need visuals to help me comprehend audio
Previous Topic: Gender on Sound Perception
Next Topic: Best Time for Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:33:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers