Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 28kHz standing waves and diffraction schlieren demo
28kHz standing waves and diffraction schlieren demo [message #94049] Sat, 17 July 2021 10:28 Go to next message
grindstone is currently offline  grindstone
Baron
Not so pi-specific, but I think I've watched Wayne post the phrase "standing wave" more times than anyone on the web so thought to post here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrgyKFBPQW4

Part 3 is a bit cooler when he levitates some balls in the standing wave. The temperature/density refraction thing is cool, too. Well, it's all more interesting than doing my Saturday work list... Part I starts here if you want the start -- that's the sort of room acoustics demo Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBPh410Gnes

Almost makes a guy miss school. Hope everyone is well!
Re: 28kHz standing waves and diffraction schlieren demo [message #94053 is a reply to message #94049] Sat, 17 July 2021 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Super groovy cool!

Thanks for posting that here!
Re: 28kHz standing waves and diffraction schlieren demo [message #94054 is a reply to message #94053] Sat, 17 July 2021 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Nothing like a good visual to make sense of a concept. Now I get diffraction and standing waves better than ever. On a similar note sort of by way of the strobe effect. I went to a ballet performance once and saw a really cool demonstration of dance using strobe with music applied in layers from a cellist laying down repeating loop tracks of his instrument. The dancer came on to interpret the music and then the stage went dark and strobe applied as the dancer perfectly did jumps with his legs outstretched. Like the sound waves, he appeared frozen in time, but moving across the stage like he was floating. It was phenomenal. I wished I could find a similar scene on youtube, but this can give a modest take on it. At the 31 mark. It was amazing physical skill and timing by the dancer. Coolest damn thing I ever saw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB1ZnvCuXzg
Re: 28kHz standing waves and diffraction schlieren demo [message #94058 is a reply to message #94054] Sun, 18 July 2021 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grindstone is currently offline  grindstone
Baron
Sounds cool. Watching your ballet-guy, however, just made me think of those original efforts in trying to determine galloping horse footwork Smile

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2788&private=0
Re: 28kHz standing waves and diffraction schlieren demo [message #94062 is a reply to message #94049] Mon, 19 July 2021 12:19 Go to previous message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Up until the Muybridge photos nobody could say for sure if all of a horses legs were off the ground when they ran. These photos were proof.

It was a big deal at the time.
Previous Topic: Time Alignment
Next Topic: 6Pi bass bin back brace
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:11:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers