Home » Audio » General » TikTok collecting biometric data
TikTok collecting biometric data [message #93867] Sun, 06 June 2021 08:42 Go to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
In case you haven't heard about it, TikTok quietly gave itself permission to collect biometric data, including voiceprints and faceprints from its users. I don't think it's the hit the popularity of YouTube, but the video-sharing site it isn't far behind. https://techcrunch.com/2021/06/03/tiktok-just-gave-itself-permission-to-collect-biometric-data-on-u-s-users-including-faceprints-and-voiceprints/
Re: TikTok collecting biometric data [message #93871 is a reply to message #93867] Sun, 06 June 2021 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, are you really surprised? Confused

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: TikTok collecting biometric data [message #93898 is a reply to message #93867] Sat, 12 June 2021 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zart is currently offline  Zart
Baron
I wonder what TikTok users think about that and how much they care about it. It's an important thing to safeguard personal data, but people tend to focus on the fun of things even when something doesn't seem right.
Re: TikTok collecting biometric data [message #94784 is a reply to message #93867] Fri, 12 November 2021 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spotifier is currently offline  Spotifier
Baron
Almost all applications are like that, but people don't seem to care about giving away their data. There's a danger with TikTok being so famous to the point that some people believe the fake news they'd watch there.
Re: TikTok collecting biometric data [message #94789 is a reply to message #93867] Fri, 12 November 2021 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
Wait, what? Is that even legal? I am guessing that they have that notice somewhere in the "small print". I don't use it yet, haven't quite fallen prey yet. I'm not sure I will now.
Re: TikTok collecting biometric data [message #94814 is a reply to message #94789] Sat, 13 November 2021 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
LoveJB wrote on Fri, 12 November 2021 11:44
Wait, what? Is that even legal?
I doubt very seriously that this activity is even on any "list of crimes". It should be though, and it should be illegal in regards to your voice and likeness. If someone cannot take a brand logo, for instance, and use it for their own purpose without the permission of the brand owner then no one should be able to take my likeness and use it without my permission. My face is my "logo" for the "brand" that is me. You can't just steal that and make money from it.

From the article:

We may collect biometric identifiers and biometric information as defined under US laws, such as faceprints and voiceprints, from your User Content. Where required by law, we will seek any required permissions from you prior to any such collection.

You shouldn't grant them permission if you don't get paid from it.
Re: TikTok collecting biometric data [message #94818 is a reply to message #94814] Sat, 13 November 2021 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Figure that US Laws are written to place the benefits to the corporate end rather than the publics. Some states are currently re-writing child labor laws. For the benefit of the labor shortage. People are quitting their lousy jobs because of lousy pay and lousy benefits. So legislatures are compromising youth for the markets lack of decency.
Re: TikTok collecting biometric data [message #94824 is a reply to message #93867] Tue, 16 November 2021 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2912&private=0

A coal mine in Pennsylvania in 1911.

Now imagine all of them in McDonalds uniforms and you have the 21st century version of the same thing.

I've always been a huge fan of a good work ethic, but we have to let children be children.
  • Attachment: kids.jpeg
    (Size: 963.44KB, Downloaded 277 times)
Re: TikTok collecting biometric data [message #94826 is a reply to message #94824] Tue, 16 November 2021 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey Kingfish. Child labor deregulation is a historical dicey Libertarian platform. In the past and now the Libertarian concept of personal freedoms and commerce are rooted in micro-economics. But taking small scale economics and applying them to macro economics causes a misunderstanding of what the purpose of a sovereign governments capabilities are. And the relationship of government and private enterprise. It's platform on child labor has been along the lines of a child being in the care of parents should not have to be compelled by govt. interference to the potential of keeping a family financially solvent when the markets can't provide enough income through adult participation alone. Like a 3rd world economy for example.

But in a developed society like ours. When we have been economically buffeted by upheaval in the market place by nature and chronic recession, stagnant wages, high cost of living now being made higher through inflation from turmoil in our supply side economics. Should the same rationalization be applied? Is this a slippery slope? It seems a society that has such a disparity between the top tier and the working class living standards. That degrading a law that at it's basic end is to keep young people unburdened from the trials and tribulations of making a living. Is a cop out for not making the market place more fair and equitable to begin with.

We can and should do better. For decency sake. Including denying Tik/Tok, Facebook and all the others using the public private data as a means to make some money off of us unwittingly. Which is very creepy.
Re: TikTok collecting biometric data [message #94861 is a reply to message #93867] Sun, 05 December 2021 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey Rusty. You have 666 messages. Please say something. LOL

That was a good synopsis and I think, financially, America is backsliding to the days represented in that picture. The reasons we're back there are vastly different and are hinged largely on the greed of corporate entities. By and large, they are the ones causing the divide between rich and poor to become wider.

Do our kids have to work in coal mines? No. They can make money online which is a lot easier physically, and healthier. I think they should if they want to, but I don't think they should if they have to. It's still forced labor at that point.

Previous Topic: Apprpriate for all ages.
Next Topic: That Tree In The Forest
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:10:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout