Home » Audio » General » Narrating Books / Voice Acting
Narrating Books / Voice Acting [message #93698] Mon, 10 May 2021 19:12 Go to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
Does anyone know if those job descriptors require any special education? Narrating books is always something I wanted to try but felt intimidated by the education I might need to qualify for that work.
Re: Narrating Books / Voice Acting [message #93706 is a reply to message #93698] Tue, 11 May 2021 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think it would be a bit like acting. Learning how to emote the range of emotions realistically, not hamming it up.
Re: Narrating Books / Voice Acting [message #93740 is a reply to message #93698] Wed, 12 May 2021 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The tone of your voice has to match what they want. From what I understand, there is somewhat of a science to that. Matching voices to the commercial, book, or whatever else needs narrating.
Re: Narrating Books / Voice Acting [message #93763 is a reply to message #93706] Thu, 13 May 2021 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
Rusty wrote on Tue, 11 May 2021 07:01
I think it would be a bit like acting. Learning how to emote the range of emotions realistically, not hamming it up.

Realistic by who's standards? The narrator or the average listener?

I would like to find the companies that do this and send them samples of me narrating a few paragraphs from books of different genres. Just to see how well I do.
Re: Narrating Books / Voice Acting [message #93767 is a reply to message #93763] Fri, 14 May 2021 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Realistic by who's standards? The narrator or the average listener?

I'd imagine it would be a judgement by the source who is marketing the product. Like when an actor reads for a part in a tv or movie production. Or like you sending in your narration reading from a book.
Re: Narrating Books / Voice Acting [message #93864 is a reply to message #93767] Fri, 04 June 2021 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LCallan is currently offline  LCallan
Baron
You could create some samples and upload them to YouTube. Then make a profile on Fivver or another job platform. It doesn't hurt to try. I know that I could never do it. I tend to mumble, and I have a country twang.
Re: Narrating Books / Voice Acting [message #93866 is a reply to message #93698] Sat, 05 June 2021 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zart is currently offline  Zart
Baron
Narrating books require more skills such as acting and knowing how to regulate your voice. It would help to have a few voice lessons so that you can improve your pitch and tone. Other than that, practice all the way to make up for inadequacies.
Re: Narrating Books / Voice Acting [message #93908 is a reply to message #93698] Mon, 14 June 2021 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beck is currently offline  Beck
Viscount
Acting skills may help since you'll be more knowledgeable about which kind of voice will be suitable for a scene. It may also help to take note of the book's genre that'll better befit your ability.
Re: Narrating Books / Voice Acting [message #94048 is a reply to message #93698] Sat, 17 July 2021 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Acacia is currently offline  Acacia
Viscount
Special education might be required when starting a job in knowledge-based fields. However, I don't think it would be a problem to try and see how things will go first in this area since narrating books is skill-based.
Re: Narrating Books / Voice Acting [message #94094 is a reply to message #93698] Sun, 25 July 2021 00:25 Go to previous message
MRikki is currently offline  MRikki
Baron
I don't think any particular education is required. Maybe a background in radio would be helpful? I think that as long as you have an expressive voice and can read well, you should be able to find some way to get into voice acting!
Previous Topic: Pan Flutes
Next Topic: Wind chimes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:20:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout