Home » Audio » General » Bad moments for collectors
Bad moments for collectors [message #85302] Fri, 02 June 2017 02:32 Go to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
As an audiophile what are your worst moments from collecting? Mine would be an elderly relative who passed away leaving me his huge 1940's and 50's record collection. When I went to pick it up, the entire lot had been thrown by well-meaning relatives who didn't see why I'd want "that old tat". They had the cassettes he'd recorded them onto for the car, and I could have those because they were much better...
Re: Bad moments for collectors [message #85303 is a reply to message #85302] Fri, 02 June 2017 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, what a blow! You lost your relative and the record collection they left for you too. I'm so sorry for your loss(es)!

Re: Bad moments for collectors [message #85358 is a reply to message #85302] Mon, 05 June 2017 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hylo
Baron
Ouch. I am sorry for your loss, and for the records.

Not sure mine compares. I'd arranged a controlled storage locker when I went off to college to put my vinyl in. When I got back I found out my parents had decided that this was a waste of money, cancelled it, and taken the records out and dumped them in the garage. There was a lot of warped vinyl and mildew.

Last time I put their name on my storage access, even for emergencies.
Re: Bad moments for collectors [message #93673 is a reply to message #85302] Fri, 07 May 2021 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
The first records I ever bought as a teenager got warped years later. I was moving, got tired at the end of day one and kept them in an uninsulated structure for about a week.

I'm still bummed.
Re: Bad moments for collectors [message #93675 is a reply to message #93673] Sat, 08 May 2021 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I had a moving mishap also that I lost a fine old 78 platter of my swing man Bob Wills. The platter slipped out of my hands and shattered. Rather ironic, the song was called, My life's been a pleasure.

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhwwwwww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RV06VDhvKU
Re: Bad moments for collectors [message #93676 is a reply to message #93675] Sat, 08 May 2021 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Damn, Rusty, that's baaaad!

And - hylo and noise - the storage unit mishaps, those are heartbreakers!
Re: Bad moments for collectors [message #93694 is a reply to message #85302] Mon, 10 May 2021 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Airforce 3 is currently offline  Airforce 3
Viscount
I've been thinking about this for a while now, and I still can't think of anything. The only thing that comes close is losing track of homemade cassette tapes I made while listening to the radio and recording from that.
Re: Bad moments for collectors [message #93747 is a reply to message #85302] Wed, 12 May 2021 20:52 Go to previous message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
That sounds old school, Airforce.

The worst thing for collectors would be collecting something an artist made because it's worth a lot of money, only to hear of a scandal that de-values everything they did.
Previous Topic: Starter Information
Next Topic: Signal To Noise Ratio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:35:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout