Home » Audio » Home Theater » Logitech to end Harmony line
Logitech to end Harmony line [message #93608] Sun, 25 April 2021 19:05 Go to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Well, there goes my favorite all-in-one remote. I'm surprised that Logitech has decided to discontinue its line of remotes considering how popular they are within the AV community. I have rotten luck with audio/video equipment becoming discontinued. This is right up there with my beloved Squeezebox. I use my Harmony remote to control everything - my smart lights, my TV, my game console, and more. Do you know of a decent replacement? I know that Logitech says it will continue to support their remotes, but I've heard that before and eventually the servers stop and so does your access.
Re: Logitech to end Harmony line [message #93621 is a reply to message #93608] Wed, 28 April 2021 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Don't you have a smart home hub? I think you've mentioned it before, unless I have the wrong person. If you have a hub, then the AI can do all those tasks I had a Harmony remote for a while, but I had so many problems with it that I trashed it.
Re: Logitech to end Harmony line [message #93624 is a reply to message #93621] Wed, 28 April 2021 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
You're right that I have a hub and smart home devices, but we decided to limit it because of how it was affecting our girls. Everything was fine until the pandemic hit and we began isolating at home. Our oldest began using her smart speaker to learn more about COVID-19, which we were initially okay with, but it began to make her anxious and afraid and was becoming a compulsion. So, we had to nip it in the bud. We follow all the CDC guidelines and we check them routinely to see if they've changed, but my kiddos don't need to obsess about the daily death toll.

Maybe I just got lucky with my remote. It needed to be updated sometimes though.
Re: Logitech to end Harmony line [message #93662 is a reply to message #93624] Thu, 06 May 2021 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Yeah, I can see how that would be a problem. For what it's worth, I suspect that your current remote will continue working for a long time just like Logitech said promised. You have time to look around for other options. Have you tried any of the apps like SmartThings Mobile? It can turn your phone into a universal remote.
Re: Logitech to end Harmony line [message #93682 is a reply to message #93662] Sat, 08 May 2021 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
You could be right about them providing support in the future. Logitech has a decent reputation and has been around for a while, so they do have that going for them. I just want to be prepared since I've been burned before by tech that went obsolete with little warning. I'll try that app you suggested. Thanks!
Re: Logitech to end Harmony line [message #93940 is a reply to message #93608] Thu, 17 June 2021 21:01 Go to previous message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
Oh crap, I didn't know they were discontinuing their remote line. I've got one too. We are working towards making our home a smart home. I won't need the remote once we finish switching everything over.
Previous Topic: Powered soundbars
Next Topic: What's your setup?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:57:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout