Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » I didn't know about NOS tubes
I didn't know about NOS tubes [message #93613] Mon, 26 April 2021 13:35 Go to next message
smartt is currently offline  smartt
Master
They say it was better made. I am surprised they still exist after all this time.
Re: I didn't know about NOS tubes [message #93614 is a reply to message #93613] Mon, 26 April 2021 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, some are better and some not. Many octal tubes from about 1940 to 1960 were quite good. But by the same token new production versions (an example is the 6V6) have considerably better ratings. Which sounds better is a matter of preference. It seems to me (and I use lots of tubes) that NOS preamplifier tubes tend to sound nicer than new ones and that new power tubes are better than NOS. YMMV. One thing to watch out for is that just because it is NOS does not mean it is good for anything or more valuable. NOS does not equal worth costing more. There are many on places like ebay that are "antique", "vintage" and such being marketed at high prices. Many can be had from some of the normal tube sources for much less cost. Worse there is a problem with folks selling used tubes as NOS and even remarking some as type that they are not.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: I didn't know about NOS tubes [message #93782 is a reply to message #93613] Mon, 17 May 2021 20:10 Go to previous message
positron is currently offline  positron
Viscount
smartt wrote on Mon, 26 April 2021 13:35
They say it was better made. I am surprised they still exist after all this time.
I agree with gofar99. Lots of marketing/reviewers erroneously give poor information concerning NOS.

cheers

pos

Previous Topic: Solid State vs. Vacuum Amps
Next Topic: Why parafeed?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:14:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers