Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Large Bass, Small Treble
Large Bass, Small Treble [message #93354] Mon, 22 March 2021 22:04 Go to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
Over the years, I've noticed that in a large room with little to no furnishings, I need to turn the bass up to get a good sound. Smaller rooms with a lot of furnishings need the bass turned lower for more treble. Have you guys noticed this too?
Re: Large Bass, Small Treble [message #93975 is a reply to message #93354] Fri, 02 July 2021 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
panduro is currently offline  panduro
Baron
Very late reply but why not lol.

Yes rooms with alot of soft surface, drapes, cloth sofas, rugs n so on, is high frequency dampers, so they reduce high frequency boundary reflections which results in Less persieved treble from your speaker...

Small rooms can have more room gain than bigger rooms.

Rugs drapes and furnature does not dampen bass frequencys.

That combination Can make a room Sound a bit dead and lackingin high frequencys..

Best regards

Re: Large Bass, Small Treble [message #95089 is a reply to message #93354] Tue, 18 January 2022 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
You can also notice a difference in a bar or dance hall. When there's a lot of people in a room the bass effect is more pronounced. The people serve as a damping effect.
Re: Large Bass, Small Treble [message #95131 is a reply to message #93354] Wed, 26 January 2022 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, Azuri. We get the picture.

It's fun to experiment though. Take a small room and strip it bare, then take a large room and furnish it to the brim. Place the same sound system with the same adjustments in both and see if you can hear a difference.

I'm sure there are audiophiles out there with blogs who do just that.

Nerds. Laughing
Re: Large Bass, Small Treble [message #95161 is a reply to message #93354] Mon, 31 January 2022 20:45 Go to previous message
Grand Master
I know, right? It's fun though. Delving into how things work concerning a pastime you enjoy doing? I can't think of a better way to pass the time.

Now if you'll excuse me, some ink leaked through my pocket protector and onto my shirt. Cool
Previous Topic: THX for soundproofing
Next Topic: Same stereo/speakers different sound
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:50:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout