Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Same stereo/speakers different sound
Same stereo/speakers different sound [message #92666] Tue, 24 November 2020 15:32 Go to next message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
My friend brought over their system and we played it in the kitchen. It sounded totally different than it did in the living room. She said it even sounds different at her place (she has paneling). Do appliances really make things sound so different? The walls are the same from my kitchen to my living room.
Re: Same stereo/speakers different sound [message #92667 is a reply to message #92666] Tue, 24 November 2020 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Rooms definitely have a big influence on the sound. Think about how things sound in a small room (like a bathroom) compared to a large room (like an auditorium).

The most significant influence is from room modes and self-interference from boundaries. To learn about these things, do searches here on the forum and on the internet at large for room modes, SBIR and self-interference.
Re: Same stereo/speakers different sound [message #93353 is a reply to message #92666] Mon, 22 March 2021 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
The only time I turned anything on in a kitchen was an AM radio station. A kitchen and an AM band were made for each other, I think.
Re: Same stereo/speakers different sound [message #93479 is a reply to message #92666] Sun, 11 April 2021 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Acacia is currently offline  Acacia
Viscount
Yeah, it seems that the room where the speaker would be played will affect how the sound will turn out. Some descriptions of speakers sometimes even mention their compatibility with rooms.
Re: Same stereo/speakers different sound [message #93756 is a reply to message #92666] Thu, 13 May 2021 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sammi40 is currently offline  sammi40
Viscount
I knew that different rooms and different things in rooms affected the way things sounded but I've never seen speakers come with that information. That is cool, use this speaker in the kitchen or bathroom. Heck I have not listened to an AM radio in forever.
Re: Same stereo/speakers different sound [message #95418 is a reply to message #92666] Tue, 22 March 2022 07:24 Go to previous message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
It's amazing how furniture and other decorative materials affects the room's sound quality. My wife bought a large, ugly sculpture in the living room, but it had to be moved because it was creating an echo effect.
Previous Topic: Large Bass, Small Treble
Next Topic: How to keep the neighbors' noise out
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:48:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout