Home » Audio » General » Reactions to Sound
Reactions to Sound [message #93278] Wed, 10 March 2021 03:36 Go to next message
Acacia is currently offline  Acacia
Viscount
We've had many experiences with sound because it's something that's just there even if you don't do anything. Contrarily, it is the thing that would make you move like when you'd be ordered by your boss or other people. It also stimulates our emotions that anticipations can form at the start of a movie. How sensitive do you find yourself when it comes to sounds?
Re: Reactions to Sound [message #93281 is a reply to message #93278] Wed, 10 March 2021 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
The peculiar thing is that when sound effects in movies and TV shows are done well, then they're hardly noticeable. At least not on the conscious level. They affect my response to the stimuli just the same, though.
Re: Reactions to Sound [message #93283 is a reply to message #93278] Wed, 10 March 2021 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Souldude is currently offline  Souldude
Viscount
Although I don't necessarily show my emotions when a piece of familiar music comes up, it can easily make me remember memories and emotions that I've associated it with. It somehow takes me back in time to the situations when I would often listen to that song.
Re: Reactions to Sound [message #93287 is a reply to message #93278] Wed, 10 March 2021 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vaiger is currently offline  Vaiger
Viscount
The sound of a smoke alarm is something I REALLY don't like. The sound of light rain in a forest is the best thing ever.

Basically, sudden loud noises are annoying at best. Soft noises can be beautiful.
Re: Reactions to Sound [message #93307 is a reply to message #93278] Thu, 11 March 2021 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
I was just thinking about this exact thing this morning on my way to work. I had the radio (Sirius) on the 80s station and a song came on and took me to the exact place I was when I used to listen to that song back then.
Sound does affect us all, some good and some bad.
Re: Reactions to Sound [message #93335 is a reply to message #93278] Sun, 21 March 2021 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
Professional drivers will tell you that sounds can prevent accidents.

You can hear most motorcycles before you see them.

The screeching of tires can alert you to a possible accident nearby.

With the sound off in the vehicle, you can listen to the sounds of the vehicle which may indicate something is wrong.

All this while scanning traffic all around and making sure movements match sounds.

That's why they're called "professional" drivers.

Re: Reactions to Sound [message #93421 is a reply to message #93335] Sat, 03 April 2021 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Acacia is currently offline  Acacia
Viscount
Miami wrote on Sun, 21 March 2021 13:41
Professional drivers will tell you that sounds can prevent accidents.

You can hear most motorcycles before you see them.

The screeching of tires can alert you to a possible accident nearby.

With the sound off in the vehicle, you can listen to the sounds of the vehicle which may indicate something is wrong.

All this while scanning traffic all around and making sure movements match sounds.

That's why they're called "professional" drivers.

It's a good thing that professional drivers can utilize sounds in that way. Unlike in the case of other drivers, some get startled by alarming sounds instead of using it as a signal.
Re: Reactions to Sound [message #93425 is a reply to message #93278] Sun, 04 April 2021 07:11 Go to previous message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I wish everyone on the road were that conscientious. We wouldn't have any accidents at all.

I have a cooler/heating unit in my home, and there are a number of sounds I have gotten used to that the unit makes. They all tell me that the unit is in good, working order.

So sounds can comfort you.
Previous Topic: Wii not working
Next Topic: Who's The New Record For?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:25:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers