Home » Audio » General » The Absence Of Sound
The Absence Of Sound [message #93233] Tue, 02 March 2021 13:16 Go to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Could the absence of sound be considered a sound in and of itself? You HEAR a train. You HEAR a song. You HEAR the wind rustling leaves.

You HEAR........nothing. It's not that you CAN'T hear a sound, your ears still work, you just DON'T hear a sound.

Right?
Re: The Absence Of Sound [message #93237 is a reply to message #93233] Tue, 02 March 2021 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Normally the property of sound is defined as a set of positive and negative pressure waves. So no sound is not something to be heard as hearing is the sensing of the presure waves. The definitions do mix physical and non-physical issues and this can cause confusion. Worse if we define sound as something we hear...thus if there is a set of pressure waves caused by a rock falling and we don't hear it is there sound? I guess in the long run it depends on whether you are a scientist or an ear doctor. Cool

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: The Absence Of Sound [message #93240 is a reply to message #93233] Wed, 03 March 2021 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
@gofar.. Ha, scientist or ear doctor - funny. I don't think silence is a sound. I'm not a professional though. Silence is just that, no wavelength of sound to me means no sound.
Re: The Absence Of Sound [message #93246 is a reply to message #93233] Thu, 04 March 2021 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Acacia is currently offline  Acacia
Viscount
The absence of sound does appear to people like it is a sound in itself but this only happens because our brain makes up for the absence of it. Whenever it has become too silent, I've experienced suddenly asking myself if it is.
Re: The Absence Of Sound [message #93272 is a reply to message #93240] Mon, 08 March 2021 22:51 Go to previous message
Vaiger is currently offline  Vaiger
Viscount
Mica wrote on Wed, 03 March 2021 19:03
I don't think silence is a sound.
Simon and Garfunkel would like a word with you. Laughing

It's an interesting question that has many answers I suppose. I think the best way to answer that, aside from the technical facts already pointed out, is to ask a 100% deaf person if they "hear".
Previous Topic: Suddenly It's Compatible
Next Topic: Son and YouTube
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:55:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout