Home » Audio » Speaker » Horns (Horn speaker build)
Horns [message #93252] Sat, 06 March 2021 15:00 Go to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2714&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2713&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2712&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2711&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2710&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2709&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2708&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2707&private=0

I wanted to show my fellow "Audioroundtable friends" a horn build I just completed. They were a bit edgy sounding when I first got them rolling, but 36hrs (constant run time) later they're a lot smoother sounding.

Re: Horns [message #93253 is a reply to message #93252] Sat, 06 March 2021 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow! Those look incredible! I'll bet they sound incredible too. Magic setup you have there! https://audioroundtable.com/images/thumbs-up.gif
Re: Horns [message #93255 is a reply to message #93252] Sat, 06 March 2021 16:54 Go to previous message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Thanks Wayne.

They (PE) sent me a 16ohm and an 8ohm compression driver so I had to get that straightened out first.

I only attempted this build since the horns go from 300Hz to 20,000Hz. (Really 350-18,000).
I would never have attempted had I needed to build a passive crossover at frequencies north of 500 Hz. I do not have the confidence/technology/knowledge yet.

It's more of a "woofer enclosure build with horn dropped on top" build, not a "loudspeaker" build lol.

The JBL's are bandpassed from 45 to 450 Hz. using the Crown amp DSP.
Subs are low passed at 100hz using another Crown.

I had to pad down the CD's with a 25ohm resistor (series) to better match the 2226.
Then I just EQ the response once I had all the gains fairly matched.

Sounds real good now, more balanced and uniform than it has a right to, beings how I threw this thing together!. I'll try and post up a 1/12 smoothed FR at the listening position.
There are four subs across the front wall/floor laterally (one under each midwoofer and two towards the center) Also some new 4" thick panel absorbers. Bass response seems better than ever.

I was a bit concerned with the mid range from the CD, as sometimes they can be a bit edgy (Didn't they used to call them squawker's?) but things have smoothed out substantially and I'm quite pleased.
Previous Topic: L pad
Next Topic: Raycon brand
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 15:10:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout