Home » Audio » General » Art (Music) And Science
Art (Music) And Science [message #93105] Tue, 09 February 2021 10:06 Go to next message
Vaiger is currently offline  Vaiger
Viscount
How interchangeable do you think these two are? Some people say that they are polar opposites, while others argue that it helps a great deal if you apply a little of each other in order to better understand each other.

What do you think?
Re: Art (Music) And Science [message #93109 is a reply to message #93105] Wed, 10 February 2021 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The best example of this is Leonardo Da Vinci. He was probably the greatest genius to express both the creative aspects of art, (including music) and science. I think they are intertwined and compliment one another. My nephew is a wonderful musician able to play nearly any instrument made, has a PhD in biochemistry and a Dr. of Ophthalmology. Wished I'd had a trace of his gifts.
Creativity has an open mind. Hollywood beauty Hedy Lamarr torched the screen with her allure and in her WWII spare time collaborated to come up with frequency hopping spectrum with intent to guide torpedo's which is now a part of bluetooth and wi-fi technology.
Some people are just wired up better than the rest of us. So glad.
Re: Art (Music) And Science [message #93115 is a reply to message #93105] Fri, 12 February 2021 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
I wonder if Frank Zappa was like that? I'm sure Eddie Van Halen was. He was very technical with his craft.

But yeah, I think most people think of art and science belonging in different camps.
Re: Art (Music) And Science [message #93123 is a reply to message #93105] Sun, 14 February 2021 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Souldude is currently offline  Souldude
Viscount
These two can be seen as closely related when you look at music in the context of science and vice versa. Certain types of music, after all, are used to increase focus while scientific knowledge can be applied to music when creating patterns of sounds. How people perceive music and science will depend on the point of view and context.
Re: Art (Music) And Science [message #93152 is a reply to message #93123] Fri, 19 February 2021 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
That is a very perceptive viewpoint. I have always viewed music as more of an emotional vehicle, so I never did see it this way before. A good example is Pink Floyd. Not one love song in their catalog, yet I never viewed their music as technical in a scientific vein.

I do know that they are my go-to source when I need to be calm.
Re: Art (Music) And Science [message #93172 is a reply to message #93152] Sun, 21 February 2021 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Souldude is currently offline  Souldude
Viscount
Concorde wrote on Fri, 19 February 2021 09:05
That is a very perceptive viewpoint. I have always viewed music as more of an emotional vehicle, so I never did see it this way before. A good example is Pink Floyd. Not one love song in their catalog, yet I never viewed their music as technical in a scientific vein.

I do know that they are my go-to source when I need to be calm.
The good thing here then is that music can be used in whatever way the person needs it to be. You can just see it as a free-flowing sensation during stressed times but it can also be applied in a practical sense like for improving focus, and memory.
Re: Art (Music) And Science [message #93932 is a reply to message #93105] Wed, 16 June 2021 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zart is currently offline  Zart
Baron
Art and Science can help improve music in different ways because it is mainly perspective. It would be cool to have music that won't only appeal but also have benefits for the brain.
Re: Art (Music) And Science [message #94067 is a reply to message #93105] Tue, 20 July 2021 04:00 Go to previous message
Acacia is currently offline  Acacia
Viscount
Audio engineers and conductors approach music differently in their way of creating them. There's no wrong way of looking at sounds, given that it's a production of our senses, so I think music is one of the gray areas of life. It can be science, art, or a mix of both.
Previous Topic: Music Union Question
Next Topic: Pan Flutes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:16:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout