Home » Audio » General » Connecting with Music
Connecting with Music [message #92964] Sat, 16 January 2021 23:53 Go to next message
Souldude is currently offline  Souldude
Viscount
My playlist contains more songs from the early 2000s than recent ones and updating it doesn't occur to me. Well, the music industry is changing along with the style of some artists, since others are more focus on music videos. I was wondering if you guys can relate more to old music than new ones. In some aspects, it seems like old music has more feeling to it.
Re: Connecting with Music [message #92966 is a reply to message #92964] Sun, 17 January 2021 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
I can relate to old.

I've always connected with a great deal of the music from my parents (or grandparents) generation. Jazz, mostly. It's what my mother listened to when I was a kid so it left a good impression.

Nothing wrong with liking music from many eras. It seems to be what separates the casual music lover from the hard core. The hard core always seem to know music from way back to now.
Re: Connecting with Music [message #92967 is a reply to message #92964] Sun, 17 January 2021 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I find certain eras sort of resonate with me. For example, the fifties music was fun and catchy, but none of it was favorites for me. Just fun stuff. Same in the early 1960s. Be-bop "boy chases girl" music. But I really loved the late 1960s and early 1970s. That's the first era that really resonated with me. Some of the music seemed so deep and powerful. And then by the late seventies to early 1980s, it was back to being just catchy little ditties. Lots of weird stuff, lots of even garbage. What wasn't trash was just catchy. Nothing really powerful, just maybe danceable, through the early 1990s. But then the mid to late 1990s started to resonate with me again. Music that was deep and powerful. By the early aughts, I was unimpressed again. Just like the 1980s, it was mostly terrible trash, bad to maybe decent, but almost nothing I'd call good. In the early to mid 2010s, it had swung back to a few things I liked but by after maybe 2016, it was junk again. For the last two years or so, when I hear the radio, the music coming out is total trash. Can't say I've heard one new song in the last couple years I even liked.

So it seems cyclical for my tastes.
Re: Connecting with Music [message #92973 is a reply to message #92966] Mon, 18 January 2021 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Barryso wrote on Sun, 17 January 2021 09:23
I can relate to old.

I've always connected with a great deal of the music from my parents (or grandparents) generation. Jazz, mostly. It's what my mother listened to when I was a kid so it left a good impression.

Nothing wrong with liking music from many eras. It seems to be what separates the casual music lover from the hard core. The hard core always seem to know music from way back to now.
I guess there are times when we end up liking a certain kind of music because of how it has been introduced to us. It becomes more meaningful since the music is transformed into something that's beyond the notes and melodies such as memories.
Re: Connecting with Music [message #92974 is a reply to message #92967] Mon, 18 January 2021 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Sun, 17 January 2021 09:31

I find certain eras sort of resonate with me. For example, the fifties music was fun and catchy, but none of it was favorites for me. Just fun stuff. Same in the early 1960s. Be-bop "boy chases girl" music. But I really loved the late 1960s and early 1970s. That's the first era that really resonated with me. Some of the music seemed so deep and powerful. And then by the late seventies to early 1980s, it was back to being just catchy little ditties. Lots of weird stuff, lots of even garbage. What wasn't trash was just catchy. Nothing really powerful, just maybe danceable, through the early 1990s. But then the mid to late 1990s started to resonate with me again. Music that was deep and powerful. By the early aughts, I was unimpressed again. Just like the 1980s, it was mostly terrible trash, bad to maybe decent, but almost nothing I'd call good. In the early to mid 2010s, it had swung back to a few things I liked but by after maybe 2016, it was junk again. For the last two years or so, when I hear the radio, the music coming out is total trash. Can't say I've heard one new song in the last couple years I even liked.

So it seems cyclical for my tastes.
Wow, those are really specific preferences. Some music are praised for being high-pitched while there are works that are noteworthy for its lyrics. Is your taste for music mainly affected by lyrics or do you like it depending on its tone?
Re: Connecting with Music [message #92975 is a reply to message #92974] Tue, 19 January 2021 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
When music gets produced in formulaic fashion, regardless the decade, but seemingly full throttle currently. The soul of it collapses. There's a youtube video that gets into the dynamics of todays commercial pop music and the way it's produced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII
I've been a bit of a archivist in my collection of music. Having turned my attention to the past or off the beaten path with my tastes. Liking many different genres. They all seem to have their golden periods from my archival perspective. Jazz seemed most inventive from the 40's through the 60's, with a sweet spot in the 50's. Rock, from it's nostalgic infancy in the 50's, the 60's soul and protest influences to the 70's crafting what now is heralded as classic rock. Sub genres like rockabilly, blues, reggae, country for me have their peaks as well that all favor the past in my collection. With exception of some notable and desirable revivalist influences in them that brought them back from obscurity.
These days, the ability to explore musical genres are more available than ever before. But what accounts as popular music or pop music I find to have turned into a puree of sound. Bland and non nourishing to the ears. Not to say pockets of good music isn't produced. Because there has been and there always will be people that do it for the joy it gives to them. That is the art that can't be formulated no matter what the algorithm made to replicate it is.
Re: Connecting with Music [message #92976 is a reply to message #92964] Tue, 19 January 2021 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sammi40 is currently offline  sammi40
Viscount
I love many styles and ages of music. I would say that it really depends on my mood. I'm an Eminem fan when I'm angry, a Pink fan when I need to rock out and a Kenny Chesney fan when I need to mellow out. Some of my favorite songs are from my childhood, they bring back memories of dancing in the kitchen with my mom. I love Yellow Submarine and Miss American Pie.
Re: Connecting with Music [message #92999 is a reply to message #92964] Sat, 23 January 2021 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
I can find something that I like in every style and year. There is always something I can relate to. I do still love the music from when I was in high school (rock). I never really listened to country music until I got out of school. I listen to rock, country, rap and instrumental music - just depends on my mood.
Re: Connecting with Music [message #93195 is a reply to message #92964] Tue, 23 February 2021 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Acacia is currently offline  Acacia
Viscount
Classical music is one of the sounds that resonate with me better, which I think has a more old generation feel to it. I'd get lost in the imagery in my head just listening to it.
Re: Connecting with Music [message #93212 is a reply to message #92964] Thu, 25 February 2021 10:15 Go to previous message
Vaiger is currently offline  Vaiger
Viscount
What I listen to makes the terms "old music" and "new music" obsolete in the context it's usually given. I like listening to the new music that older artists put out. Artists that have been around since the '70s and '80s.

Many people I've met think that if John Cougar Mellencamp put out hugely popular pop hits in the '80s, that he still puts out pop music. Nothing could be farther from the truth. At least in his case.

Previous Topic: Music In Your Dreams?
Next Topic: Suddenly It's Compatible
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:15:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout