Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Best Instrument for Kids
Best Instrument for Kids [message #92927] Sat, 09 January 2021 16:55 Go to next message
MRikki is currently offline  MRikki
Chancellor
My niece (age seven) is really wanting to learn an instrument. My sister lives in an apartment building and is worried about bothering neighbors, as they have neighbors both above and below them. But, she also wants to encourage her daughter's budding musical interest. What instruments should I steer my sister towards?
Re: Best Instrument for Kids [message #92932 is a reply to message #92927] Mon, 11 January 2021 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Master
A keyboard. I play a few instruments myself and I teach lessons to children. I think the keyboard is the easiest instrument to learn over webcam or through video tutorials. Something like that might be important to your sister since we're still in the middle of a pandemic. Plus, you can turn the volume up or down on a keyboard and you can even use headphones so no sound leaks out to the neighbors.
Re: Best Instrument for Kids [message #92937 is a reply to message #92932] Tue, 12 January 2021 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KalebTheAudioGuy is currently offline  KalebTheAudioGuy
Chancellor
What about an acoustic guitar? It was my first instrument and my family was in a similar living situation as your niece. There are lots of videos on YouTube that can help her get started playing! Smile
Re: Best Instrument for Kids [message #92940 is a reply to message #92937] Wed, 13 January 2021 13:33 Go to previous message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Viscount
I think it's best just to let your niece pick. Most instruments can be played softly. It's a matter of controlling the technique. If the neighbors are fussy she could dampen the noise with mutes or pads. If percussion is her thing, then steer her towards one of the quieter kits. You can get low-volume cymbals and drum pads to help minimize the volume. Or just replace the heads with mesh heads. There are also different techniques for holding the drumsticks that affect the volume, or she could use brushes instead.
Previous Topic: Affordable solid-state amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jan 19 08:34:12 CST 2021

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout