Home » Audio » General » Coping With Tinnitus
Coping With Tinnitus [message #92874] Mon, 28 December 2020 15:10 Go to next message
KalebTheAudioGuy is currently offline  KalebTheAudioGuy
Baron
Does anyone else have tinnitus, and what have you found works well for relief? I have had it for several years, and it's maddening. I blame it on my blasting music in the car when I was in high school.

Re: Coping With Tinnitus [message #92877 is a reply to message #92874] Tue, 29 December 2020 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I just take it in as another insult to the aging process. Caused like you, loud music, but of the live variety. I've had some sinus issues lately and I noticed yesterday that if I shake my head, I get a tone that sounds like a farfisa organ note sort of. Maybe I could learn to shake my noggin to make the sound of the farfisa from the song 96 Tears by ? & the Mysterians back in the 60's.
Just carry on old chap.
Re: Coping With Tinnitus [message #92879 is a reply to message #92874] Tue, 29 December 2020 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grindstone is currently offline  grindstone
Baron
I can remember a survey from either the asylum or the Joelist but it was surprising how many audio hobbyists had it. Mine seems to make me hypersensitive to (siblilants?) maybe six and a half kilohertz. And yes, youth is wasted on the young indeed.
Re: Coping With Tinnitus [message #92890 is a reply to message #92874] Thu, 31 December 2020 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raymond is currently offline  Raymond
Baron
My dad had tinnitus and it was a huge issue in his life. He tried a white noise machine and it helped him a bit. When he got hearing aids, he said that it helped with his tinnitus. Also, I've read that there are some medications that can be helpful for some people.
Re: Coping With Tinnitus [message #92900 is a reply to message #92874] Sun, 03 January 2021 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thank you all for your support and for your suggestions for relief. I've been trying a white noise machine these last few days. The machine has been helping a lot. Thank you again everyone Smile
Re: Coping With Tinnitus [message #92919 is a reply to message #92900] Wed, 06 January 2021 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I had it for several months and it turned out to be a symptom of high blood pressure. Once I started taking medicine for my blood pressure the ringing in my ears went away. It might be worth a health check just to see if it can be sorted.

I'm surprised that a white noise machine is recommended. Does the decibel level matter? Does it eventually make the ringing go away permanently or is it more about being able to cope with the tinnitus by drowning it out?
Re: Coping With Tinnitus [message #92938 is a reply to message #92919] Tue, 12 January 2021 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I'll ask about it at my next doctor's appointment, Leot55. I assumed it was caused by the music I listened to and it didn't even dawn on me that it might have another cause.

The white noise machine drowns out the noise caused by the tinnitus. It doesn't the noise go away per se. It simple masks it.
Re: Coping With Tinnitus [message #92977 is a reply to message #92874] Tue, 19 January 2021 15:41 Go to previous message
sammi40 is currently offline  sammi40
Viscount
Yes! It's been getting more and more noticeable over the last six months. It is slowly driving me crazy! I have always and still do listen to my music too loud! I have noticed that when I am wearing earbuds I don't notice it very much. I'll have to try a white noise machine.
Previous Topic: Strange Animal Noises
Next Topic: Listening To Nature's Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:00:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout