Home » Audio » General » Voice Acting
Voice Acting [message #92839] Wed, 23 December 2020 00:00 Go to next message
MRikki is currently offline  MRikki
Baron
Ever since I was little, I loved listening to radio dramas. I was always so impressed with how expressive someone could be with only their voice. Later, I started noticing voice acting in movies and TV. Some was amazing, other performance...not worth remembering.

That got me to thinking about what a voice actor needs to be successful. Where a film actor has their whole body, a voice actor doesn't. Their voice has to do everything. So, what qualities make a good vocal performance, especially in a radio drama? Who, in your opinion, is the best voice actor?
Re: Voice Acting [message #92843 is a reply to message #92839] Wed, 23 December 2020 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raymond is currently offline  Raymond
Baron
Not a radio drama performer, but Mark Hamill is an amazing voice actor. He'll act out what he's doing while recording the audio. I'd imagine this is a common thing to do, but his performances are excellent. His version of The Joker is one of my favorites. I'm certain I'm not alone in that opinion! Surprised
Re: Voice Acting [message #92928 is a reply to message #92843] Sun, 10 January 2021 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MRikki is currently offline  MRikki
Baron
I had no idea that Mark Hamill did voice acting! I listened to some of his work and I'm really impressed. I wonder if his role in Star Wars prepared him to be a successful voice actor?

I've also noticed that lots of movies hire famous actors or musicians as voice actors. I wonder if this is because the name sells tickets, or if the person is actually qualified for the role? I wouldn't be surprised if its the former. Confused
Re: Voice Acting [message #92941 is a reply to message #92928] Wed, 13 January 2021 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
My favorite voice actor is Stacy Keach, especially when he's the narrator. He has such a distinctive voice. I think some people are just born with it. I wonder how difficult it is to break into the industry?
Re: Voice Acting [message #92945 is a reply to message #92839] Wed, 13 January 2021 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Souldude is currently offline  Souldude
Viscount
Voice acting mainly reminds me of anime. I think that the industry will be more in demand in the coming years because of animation and gaming. Maybe knowing more languages can give an edge to someone who's just starting.
Re: Voice Acting [message #92948 is a reply to message #92928] Fri, 15 January 2021 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SarahSimm is currently offline  SarahSimm
Esquire
Dude, his voice of Joker in The Batman cartoon still makes me go goosebumps all the way
Re: Voice Acting [message #92980 is a reply to message #92948] Tue, 19 January 2021 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RunsWithScissors is currently offline  RunsWithScissors
Chancellor
SarahSimm wrote on Fri, 15 January 2021 05:23
Dude, his voice of Joker in The Batman cartoon still makes me go goosebumps all the way
Same here! It's amazing to me that someone who is so famous for a certain role has an (arguably) more engaging performance that isn't talked about as much. Does anyone know if Mark Hamill has new voice acting performances that are coming up? I hope so!
Re: Voice Acting [message #92995 is a reply to message #92980] Sat, 23 January 2021 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KalebTheAudioGuy is currently offline  KalebTheAudioGuy
Baron
RunsWithScissors wrote on Tue, 19 January 2021 23:20
SarahSimm wrote on Fri, 15 January 2021 05:23
Same here! It's amazing to me that someone who is so famous for a certain role has an (arguably) more engaging performance that isn't talked about as much. Does anyone know if Mark Hamill has new voice acting performances that are coming up? I hope so!
You're in luck my friend! Mark Hamill is providing the voice of Art Rosebaum in the upcoming show Invincible! From what I've read, it's a show about a kid whose dad is a superhero. I haven't seen much about the show, but it's up my alley. I'll be checking it out! Very Happy
Re: Voice Acting [message #93414 is a reply to message #92839] Wed, 31 March 2021 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
penguin89 is currently offline  penguin89
Baron
This thread is making me so happy. I love seeing Mark Hamill's voice acting getting the recognition it deserves. Sometimes, I feel that his iconic Star Wars role has eclipsed all the other work, mainly the voice work, that he's done.
Re: Voice Acting [message #93417 is a reply to message #93414] Thu, 01 April 2021 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Rusty is currently online  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm a fan of both the voice over and acting of Keith David. If you've watched any of the Ken Burns documentaries. Particularly Jazz and the WW II series. His most prominent acting roles were in the movies, The Thing and Platoon.

https://www.dailyactor.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/keith-david.jpg
Previous Topic: Best Time for Music
Next Topic: Birds In The City
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:40:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers