Home » Audio » General » What Does NASA Bring To The Table?
What Does NASA Bring To The Table? [message #90192] Mon, 29 April 2019 06:04 Go to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
NASA has made instruments that can actually record the sounds of deep space from deep space. With their amount of knowledge of sound-waves and how to manipulate them, how much do you think they can influence music technology down here?

Re: What Does NASA Bring To The Table? [message #90195 is a reply to message #90192] Mon, 29 April 2019 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I wonder what part of the spectrum they accomplish getting sound waves from? Since sound doesn't travel in a vacuum. They have a long history though of contributing to technological advancement.
Re: What Does NASA Bring To The Table? [message #90230 is a reply to message #90195] Sun, 05 May 2019 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
It seems that while their instruments can record the sound, humans cannot hear them. Think "Dog Whistle". The frequency is that low. How sound can "live" through a vacuum though is another question.
Re: What Does NASA Bring To The Table? [message #90256 is a reply to message #90230] Mon, 06 May 2019 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I looked it up. They are converting radio waves into the audible part of the spectrum. There are no molecules close enough in space to transmit any sound, low, high or anything in between. I saw on a show a former astronaut explain the lack of sound in space by stating an obvious reason, the sun, there are massive explosions occurring all the time, that if there were sound transmitted through space, we'd be bombarded with intolerable noise. I have a gripe always with movies and television shows adding space noise, under the premise I guess that the public just expects noise from kinetic occurrences. The only movie I know that got it right was the classic Kubrick's, Space Odyssey.
Re: What Does NASA Bring To The Table? [message #90294 is a reply to message #90256] Sun, 12 May 2019 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Newjack is currently offline  Newjack
Viscount
Rusty wrote on Mon, 06 May 2019 09:32
I saw on a show a former astronaut explain the lack of sound in space by stating an obvious reason, the sun, there are massive explosions occurring all the time, that if there were sound transmitted through space, we'd be bombarded with intolerable noise.
Very interesting point! I have never considered that before. You learn something new every day. I find space fascinating, as I'm sure many people do. If only I was smarter, I would have gone into a related field for my career. Laughing
Re: What Does NASA Bring To The Table? [message #90986 is a reply to message #90192] Mon, 30 September 2019 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If NASA needs the money, they might be selling the technology to the military so it could be weaponized.

They say the military gets all the cool toys first.
Re: What Does NASA Bring To The Table? [message #91950 is a reply to message #90294] Sun, 24 May 2020 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
Newjack wrote on Sun, 12 May 2019 03:15
Rusty wrote on Mon, 06 May 2019 09:32
I saw on a show a former astronaut explain the lack of sound in space by stating an obvious reason, the sun, there are massive explosions occurring all the time, that if there were sound transmitted through space, we'd be bombarded with intolerable noise.
Very interesting point! I have never considered that before. You learn something new every day. I find space fascinating, as I'm sure many people do. If only I was smarter, I would have gone into a related field for my career. Laughing
I got into a related field when I was a teenager. The benefits were outstanding, but it pay for crap. I was an intern in a way. Laughing

But yeah, the subject of sound in space is a fascinating one.
Re: What Does NASA Bring To The Table? [message #92617 is a reply to message #90192] Sun, 15 November 2020 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Azuri wrote on Mon, 29 April 2019 06:04
......how much do you think they can influence music technology down here?
I'm thinking sound buffers. If they know how to get sound from a soundless environment, maybe they can engineer more soundproofing materials. There has to be a connection there somewhere.
Re: What Does NASA Bring To The Table? [message #92688 is a reply to message #90192] Sun, 29 November 2020 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Airforce 3 is currently offline  Airforce 3
Viscount
You mean reverse engineering the fluctuations of sound waves? It's an interesting idea, for sure, and may actually work. I'm trying to wrap my head around exactly HOW it would work for sound insulation purposes, but it just seems like it would.

Re: What Does NASA Bring To The Table? [message #92715 is a reply to message #92688] Tue, 01 December 2020 20:36 Go to previous message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
Airforce 3 wrote on Sun, 29 November 2020 03:40
You mean reverse engineering the fluctuations of sound waves? I'm trying to wrap my head around exactly HOW it would work for sound insulation purposes
Try wrapping your head around the process in general and you'll bend your mind. This is some serious physics right here. That's why they get paid the big bucks I suppose.
Previous Topic: Car Audio Went Kaput
Next Topic: I can't change my password
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:52:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout