Home » Audio » General » Old gear you kept around?
Old gear you kept around? [message #92677] Fri, 27 November 2020 21:13 Go to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I still use all of my Logitech Squeezebox gear. I've held onto the transporter and boom too. Their line has been discontinued for a while now, so it's probably just a matter of time before I have to cobble something together with a Raspberry Pi or move on to something more modern. What's some of the old gear that you've kept over the years?
Re: Old gear you kept around? [message #92681 is a reply to message #92677] Sat, 28 November 2020 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
My 1st solder up. Around 1987 I think. The David Hafler DH 220 power amp. Like the old commercials for Maytag washers. It's a still goin strong. A classic mosfet design that can be picked up for cheap. I think it would out perform many current amplifiers.

https://sgwmscdnimages.azureedge.net/8/1-10-2020/39756901010748sser.JPG

Aesthetically a clean and timeless looking critter too. Shop Goodwill photo
Re: Old gear you kept around? [message #92685 is a reply to message #92677] Sat, 28 November 2020 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Airforce 3 is currently offline  Airforce 3
Viscount
I have a thing about speakers. I have a few sets in my garage that I don't want to let go of. I started back when I thought it was important to save them for their wiring, and got into the habit of garaging them when I upgraded.
Re: Old gear you kept around? [message #92690 is a reply to message #92677] Sun, 29 November 2020 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
Madison wrote on Fri, 27 November 2020 21:13
What's some of the old gear that you've kept over the years?
I still have great-grandad's old wire recorder and his Wurlitzer wallbox and jukebox. I finally got the last two going, but I hardly use them. They look neat though.
Re: Old gear you kept around? [message #92695 is a reply to message #92690] Mon, 30 November 2020 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Rusty, I used to have one of those but lost it during a move. They have decent resale value, so I'm guessing someone took off with it.
Lost the Remote wrote on Sun, 29 November 2020 16:42
I finally got the last two going, but I hardly use them. They look neat though.
Oh, I'm so glad to hear that! Send me a pic, Alex.
Re: Old gear you kept around? [message #92697 is a reply to message #92690] Mon, 30 November 2020 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sammi40 is currently offline  sammi40
Viscount
Lost the Remote wrote on Sun, 29 November 2020 16:42
Madison wrote on Fri, 27 November 2020 21:13
What's some of the old gear that you've kept over the years?
I still have great-grandad's old wire recorder and his Wurlitzer wallbox and jukebox. I finally got the last two going, but I hardly use them. They look neat though.
That is impressive and great that you have something so special from your great-grandad! I wish I did!! It's even better that you got them to work! I hope you pass them down from generation to generation!
Re: Old gear you kept around? [message #92700 is a reply to message #92697] Mon, 30 November 2020 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
There are enough sets of speakers in what should be my dining room that my friends refer to my place as "Barry's House of Speakers".

There are also a number of DACs but they are much smaller and easier to conceal. Else the place would also be known as "Barry's Wayward Home for DAC's".

In my own defense, none of the loitering pieces were all that expensive and many of the speakers are DIY. Not many folks are interested in DIY stuff and those who are interested often won't even pay you enough to pay for the parts. So they sits.

On the other hand, it would be nice to have the dining room back.

Smile
Re: Old gear you kept around? [message #92704 is a reply to message #92700] Mon, 30 November 2020 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
How about this old gear. This is humbling. Saw this last night on the Roku YouTube channel. This Asian fellow takes impossibly looking junk gear. I mean total lost stuff. Found in junk yards, canals and waterways. Rusted and clogged with muck and filth. Amazing what he revives from the dead.

A Sony reciever.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/DF2iFixYqAg/hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEYCKgBEF5IVfKriqkDCwgBFQAAiEIYAXAB&rs=AOn4CLDlgend_ZvwKtxjL0WaeF8aln0x2g

A cassette deck
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/YitfZ9SwmFg/hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEYCKgBEF5IVfKriqkDCwgBFQAAiEIYAXAB&rs=AOn4CLBhi8VscXxiM0jsO7hmDAjQVDMu9g

And many other things large and small. Ay chihuahua!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF2iFixYqAg&list=RDCMUCFNc6JujTtkIyuZskIeNEGg&start_radio=1&t=57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YitfZ9SwmFg&list=RDCMUCFNc6JujTtkIyuZskIeNEGg&index=13
Re: Old gear you kept around? [message #92708 is a reply to message #92704] Mon, 30 November 2020 20:56 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I think I have nearly everything from the last 45 years. Lots of good stuff like the Marantz 1060 integrated amp that is right above my head now and provides sound in my shop to so many pairs of speakers that I lost count years ago. I had to buy a 12X10 barn style shed to old the stuff that didn't require temp control, everything else is in a huge closet or on display. I also keep the originals of all my designs (all still work fine BTW).

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Dictaphones
Next Topic: Car Audio Went Kaput
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:54:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers