Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Trigger finger is itchy
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92408 is a reply to message #92403] Fri, 09 October 2020 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hummmm. I believe I would upgrade it to shielded wire regardless, just because I am a fanatic about hum and noise and any at all is too much.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92410 is a reply to message #92408] Sat, 10 October 2020 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

After you finish this project (or before, for that matter), if you want I have some shielded cable that I used when I built my IR Remote Passive "Preamp" prototypes way back when. Just ping me if you want ten or twenty feet of the stuff and I'll mail it to you.
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92411 is a reply to message #92410] Sat, 10 October 2020 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Thanks both of you and Wayne specifically. Where would the shield portion go? Some ground point on the case? Still though, the design doesn't use shielded inputs or outputs, or sleeve ground. Just the single wire to the center tip. I'm not sophisticated enough to know his justification. Any idear's? If this is a chronic dilemma I'm facing. Reckon I'd give anything a try. The noise is constant, on all switched inputs, doesn't go up in loudness with volume control, or gain control. Thanks for any tips.
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92412 is a reply to message #92411] Sat, 10 October 2020 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Connect one end to ground, whichever side is most convenient. Just leave the other end bare - Cut back the shield braid right along with the outside jacket. You might even put 1/4" to 1/2" of heat-shrink tubing over the edge where the outside jacket ends, to cover the frayed edge of the shield braid.

That way the shield is grounded, but no ground loops are created 'cause it's only connected at one end.
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92481 is a reply to message #92412] Fri, 23 October 2020 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I did all that my meager knowledge and skills allowed. The last effort was to try a cheater plug and see if that broke the ground loop. It's in the shop with the master. He said he'd fix it. It'll be interesting to find out what the hell I did wrong. Probably something very elemental. But it escaped me going over what I did.
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92629 is a reply to message #92481] Tue, 17 November 2020 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Finally got it back today. No charge. He said he'd goofed and left out this one last instruction from the manual that was a ground wire from one of the tubes filament. No one had pointed it out. It appears in the finished wiring picture, but I never noticed just following the instruction steps. No fault of mine. It's dead quiet now he said. And he said I did a pretty good job wiring up everything, and that he'd seen units people sent in that parts were falling out opening up the things. I'm honored. Anyway I'm too damn pooped to pop getting it set up now. I finally finished raking and mulching leaves and I need a beer and an easy chair. Yes tunes would be nice. But I'll find out tomorrow what I've been missing. The man knows his stuff, so I guess the case carries all the grounding duties. Shielding cables not needed. Hot diggity! I'll do a little write up on what I think.
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92630 is a reply to message #92629] Tue, 17 November 2020 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, man, awesome! Congratulations, this is huge!

And kudos both to you and to Rozenblit. You did a great job building the kit and Bruce did a great job supporting you. Round of applause!

https://audioroundtable.com/images/applause.gif
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92640 is a reply to message #92119] Thu, 19 November 2020 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Good job Rusty!

Let us know how you like it after listening for a while.
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92658 is a reply to message #92119] Sun, 22 November 2020 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I really like Wayne's last reply.

It looks like a shot from the Guinness Book of World Records
"Speed Clapping Competition"
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92663 is a reply to message #92658] Mon, 23 November 2020 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Johnnycamp. I think of those old timey silent movies where everyone moved in double time. I can tell you that from my preliminary listening, this thing is a joy to behold. I haven't formulated yet how to express it in words. Just more and more of what I have enjoyed from his older products. Which I understand now why this replaces two of his legacy preamps, the grounded grid line preamp which I've used for years and the phono preamp. I'll try to do a coherent sort of short review without audiophilic blather triggering a gag reflex. Hate that crap.
Previous Topic: Guitar Amp
Next Topic: Solid State vs. Vacuum Amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:58:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout