Home » Audio » General » Car Audio Went Kaput
Car Audio Went Kaput [message #92619] Mon, 16 November 2020 12:34 Go to next message
Vaiger is currently offline  Vaiger
Viscount
Can anyone recommend a tool of sorts that can pinpoint a problem for me? The audio in a car went out and I have no idea where the problem is or what it is. Some sort of electrical current tester maybe?
Re: Car Audio Went Kaput [message #92620 is a reply to message #92619] Mon, 16 November 2020 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can use a voltmeter to check the input power line and make sure it has power. But unless you're comfortable with electronics troubleshooting, you probably can't do much more than that.

My suggestion is to check the fuse and make sure it's good. Or if you have front panel lights, you don't even need that 'cause it's getting power. If you have power, do a couple of quick tests, like check all bands of radio and all inputs. It could be that only one input is bad, like the CD, for example. Or it may even have slipped into a funny mode, like mute (sound off) or it may be connected to an unconnected auxiliary input or to Bluetooth, waiting for input from your phone or something.

Beyond that, if it has a problem, I think you're probably going to want to take it to your local car stereo installer and see what they have available for replacement.
Re: Car Audio Went Kaput [message #92641 is a reply to message #92619] Thu, 19 November 2020 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Not having audio in your car kinda stinks. It's not so bad though if you're more into talk radio than music because Bluetooth speakers work ok for that.
Re: Car Audio Went Kaput [message #92665 is a reply to message #92619] Mon, 23 November 2020 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sammi40 is currently offline  sammi40
Viscount
Good luck! When my radio crapped out it was a fuse. I took it to the dealership and they ran a test for me. It was an easy fix. My daughter's car radio did the same. We still don't know why. She listens to her phone.
Re: Car Audio Went Kaput [message #92709 is a reply to message #92665] Mon, 30 November 2020 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
Does anyone know what makes the audio fuse blow like that? I don't know much about cars but like others here, it was the fuse that caused the problem for me too.
Re: Car Audio Went Kaput [message #92713 is a reply to message #92709] Tue, 01 December 2020 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
Sometimes they just get old. It happens. Most of the time it's when more than 15 amps of power are used on a 15 amp fuse. Those numbers are examples. When more amps are used than what is labeled on the fuse, it will blow.
Re: Car Audio Went Kaput [message #92714 is a reply to message #92665] Tue, 01 December 2020 20:27 Go to previous message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
sammi40 wrote on Mon, 23 November 2020 15:24
Good luck! When my radio crapped out it was a fuse. I took it to the dealership and they ran a test for me.
You could also just get the fuse diagram for your year, make and model.....pull the right one out and see if it's still good. Beats paying a dealer for the work.

This might tun into a car forum. LOL
Previous Topic: Old gear you kept around?
Next Topic: What Does NASA Bring To The Table?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:02:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio