Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » rectifying the hum
rectifying the hum [message #9259] Sun, 09 October 2005 20:08 Go to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-hey!!!,
Seems that nothing is perfect enough in audio. I rigged the TX coupled pre with AC on its filaments and found it hum free. The previous linestage had DC everywhere, and a litle bit of noise.

I changed the active load tubes to AC and a lot ov the fuzz went away.

So, is AC better than DC? Is only DC quiet enough?

Maybe...

So, how to make good DC? More importantly, can I start with AC and leave room to build DC later? Man, that's a bit simpler( and potentially a lot lighter ). I am seriously looking forward to removing about 10 lbs of filter Iron from the 12B4 linestage.

Oh well, it's been a fun weekend building and tweaking and of course listening with friends. Oh, seatbelt your amps when you travel...don't ask!
cheers,
Douglas

Re: rectifying the hum [message #9261 is a reply to message #9259] Sun, 09 October 2005 23:30 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Nothing is as pure as a regulated supply. Takes the parts count way up thought.

Then again, some amps are less sensitive to PS ripple. One of the three things I like best about PP is the PS common-mode ripple cancellation. The other two are harmonic distortion cancellation and damping, but those are different subjects altogether.

Previous Topic: LIGHTS ARE GLOWING IN QUEENSLAND...... YIPPEE
Next Topic: Polarized non-polar caps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:12:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout