Home » Audio » Radio » Sat radio lifetime subscription
Sat radio lifetime subscription [message #92485] Fri, 23 October 2020 19:47 Go to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
If you have an inactive or active lifetime subscription to SirusXM from back in the day, then you should read about the settlement. I just got a letter about it. https://www.lifetimesiriusxmsettlement.com/

It looks like a good deal for consumers to me. My lifetime sub is still active, but if it wasn't, I'd happily pony up the $100 to make it active again for this deal. I can't remember how much my sub was at the time, I think it was baked into the car purchase, but I'm sure I've gotten my money's worth. I think you have to decide by January.

I've never tried to switch radios from car to car. Is it difficult to do?
Re: Sat radio lifetime subscription [message #92488 is a reply to message #92485] Fri, 23 October 2020 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
You have to have a radio that Sirius can be programmed into.

They were being weasels with the wording of that deal. I'm glad a judge slapped them down because that was dirty pool. When I hear "Lifetime Membership" I think of MY life, not that of the radio. That would be like assuming that a "Lifetime Membership" to a gym means the lifetime of the gym equipment. Who assumes that?
Re: Sat radio lifetime subscription [message #92490 is a reply to message #92485] Fri, 23 October 2020 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Lost the Remote wrote on Fri, 23 October 2020 19:47
If you have an inactive or active lifetime subscription to SirusXM from back in the day, then you should read about the settlement. I just got a letter about it. https://www.lifetimesiriusxmsettlement.com/

It looks like a good deal for consumers to me. My lifetime sub is still active, but if it wasn't, I'd happily pony up the $100 to make it active again for this deal. I can't remember how much my sub was at the time, I think it was baked into the car purchase, but I'm sure I've gotten my money's worth. I think you have to decide by January.
I saw that and I'm surprised that it's as favorable as it is really. It went from 3 total transfers at $75 each, to unlimited transfers from one satellite radio to another at $35 each. That's not how I took the underlined bit though. I think part of the settlement award is that those with inactive lifetime subscriptions can elect to reactive them, or they can choose to accept $100 as payment for the settlement.
Re: Sat radio lifetime subscription [message #92511 is a reply to message #92485] Sun, 25 October 2020 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
Lost the Remote wrote on Fri, 23 October 2020 19:47
I've never tried to switch radios from car to car. Is it difficult to do?
It depends on the vehicle and on the radio itself really. I have an Alpine that's easy to unbolt and move to another vehicle. You might need a convertor depending on its age and type.
Re: Sat radio lifetime subscription [message #92516 is a reply to message #92511] Sun, 25 October 2020 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I have been an on and off user of it for years. Most recently it came with my new car (2018). When that ran out I quit. I now use USB jump drives and can hear what I want when I want and not pay for a subscription. Beware though that the maps and emergency road service are also subscriptions on many new cars and they typically run about $100 each per year. I kept the maps as it gives local traffic info (wrecks, construction etc) but not the service as my insurance company does that already.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Sat radio lifetime subscription [message #92536 is a reply to message #92516] Fri, 30 October 2020 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Was it hard to cancel, gofar99? I've heard some consumer horror stories about how tough they make it to cancel their service. When they first offered the lifetime sub it was pretty affordable, mainly because no one knew if it would really last or not. Satellite radio wasn't as big then. Do you pay for the maps separately? Is there a reason you like it more than a GPS system or using your phone for directions? I'm not fond of using my phone for directions or maps, but I'm happy with a navigation system (different cars).
Re: Sat radio lifetime subscription [message #92545 is a reply to message #92536] Sat, 31 October 2020 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, It was not hard to cancel, but you need to be firm and not bite into any of the things they will offer. Also they send stuff via snail mail all the time trying to tempt you back. Yes I pay for maps separately. They are a GPS system. Lets you follow your location in real time. Settings down to 200 feet to the inch on the display. Some local landmarks are included as well. I like them as they display well in the vehicle (2018 Subaru Forrester) and let you know of delays ahead of you such as accidents, construction and just general slow downs. Plus how long they are on the road in front of you. It can help alternative routes. It works better than Garmin which I already have. Use of phones on a long trip is possible ...but not as informative IMO.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Sat radio lifetime subscription [message #92574 is a reply to message #92545] Fri, 06 November 2020 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
What is that service called, gofar99? My radio came with something similar, but it's not accurate and I've been looking to switch. I have a Garmin too and it doesn't provide real-time, detailed info about traffic and such. My radio screen is large and easy to see, but the service isn't great. I'd be willing to pay for something better.

I've tried to cancel Sirius in the past and have had the retention caller hang up on me more than once. They mailed me a letter giving me free service for like 6 months. Rinse and repeat when it's due again. I don't see how they make money.
Re: Sat radio lifetime subscription [message #92598 is a reply to message #92574] Fri, 13 November 2020 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, It is just called "Maps" ....not too definitive really. It was standard on the model of Forester I have. It is a satellite based system that knows where you are and updates the maps in real time. I believe it requires the optional media center in the vehicle. I would check out the XM site and see if something is offered for non-OEM units. I really hate dealing with them. They are experts at speaking in circles and trying to keep customers.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Sat radio lifetime subscription [message #92599 is a reply to message #92485] Sat, 14 November 2020 07:53 Go to previous message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
My Nissan came with Sirius too but not a lifetime subscription. When my free period was over they started charging me $27 a month. Once I saw this (I check my account every few months) I said heck no.

This maps thing sounds like something I must have! Our new Ford truck has a great GPS built in. My Nissan has no built-in GPS. That is something I would pay for.
Previous Topic: Increasing The Frequency Range
Next Topic: Telechron Clock Motors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:07:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout