Home » Audio » General » An Old School Sync
An Old School Sync [message #92569] Wed, 04 November 2020 18:46 Go to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
Is there any way to sync lighting to music without the use of "smart" technology? I'm not thinking about Christmas light displays, just something small for the living room.
Re: An Old School Sync [message #92571 is a reply to message #92569] Thu, 05 November 2020 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You might enjoy something like this:
It isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it would be easy enough to connect a single LED or small group of them rather than a string of lights. That would make it act much like what I think you're asking for.

Decades ago, there were "old school" devices like I think you're talking about. They just had a microphone and an analog amplifier that drove lights based on the amplitude of sound sensed. You set the sensitivity of the microphone with a knob, just like a volume knob. So the lights pulsed with the music.

This "Twinkly" thing isn't that. It's a digital device, using analog-to-digital conversion and then a processor to "decide" how to drive the lights. But even though it's not "old school," it can be made to act just like the analog device I mentioned above. Or you can make it do other stuff, so you have a lot of fun choices.
Re: An Old School Sync [message #92577 is a reply to message #92569] Fri, 06 November 2020 20:31 Go to previous message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Have you ever had a sound system with those bars that go up and down with the music? Find out how that was done.

I think a small system like the one Silver is trying to find would make for a great ambiance in a living room.
Previous Topic: 432hz
Next Topic: Satellites
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:06:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout