Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Trigger finger is itchy
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92239 is a reply to message #92238] Mon, 31 August 2020 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Man, that looks good, Rusty! Thanks for sharing your build with us. I love it!
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92241 is a reply to message #92119] Tue, 01 September 2020 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Nice progress Rusty...
especially with wiener fingers.
Laughing

Interested to know how you like the sound once you've run it in for a while...
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92309 is a reply to message #92119] Sun, 13 September 2020 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Whew! Done wiring...Finally. Did a cursory look over and called it a day. I'll go over everything this week. Soldering looks shiny enough, though sometimes I glommed a tad much. Soldering is a skill set that takes sheer volume of tries. I got much better towards the end. I'll go over everything and if all's well, button it up, put the knobs on an fire it up. Hoping against yet still, did I mess something up? That's what fuses are for. There are no fancy audiophile parts within, which a trained eye could tell. But, that's the philosophy of the designer. I'm alright with that.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2636&private=0
  • Attachment: P9130097.JPG
    (Size: 361.25KB, Downloaded 458 times)
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92310 is a reply to message #92309] Sun, 13 September 2020 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow! Looks great!!!

Fingers crossed on the initial power-on...
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92374 is a reply to message #92119] Mon, 05 October 2020 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Still wondering how this turned out for you Rusty?

I just finished, and am running in a pre-amp kit of my own from VTA...
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92375 is a reply to message #92374] Mon, 05 October 2020 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey JC5. I've been chasing a buzz. It's got to be a bad solder weld. I've been over all the hookups and placements of parts, which seem to check. I'm just going to have to go over the solder joints with the iron. Which is hard for some of the occupied terminal strips. I'll have to undo the connecting screws to let me get at them better. Point to point build seems much more difficult than I'd anticipated. Circuit boards are much friendlier to solder. But I remember I had this problem with my original Grounded Grid preamp I built from schematic. Once I got the one little connection stuck tight, it was silent as an owls feather. Real frustrating though until then.
How do you like your build?
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92379 is a reply to message #92119] Mon, 05 October 2020 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I think reflowing all of your solder joints can be a good idea/approach. It worked for me in the past for correcting a problem (oscillation...).
I agree It is much easier on a PCB though.

I am enjoying my new preamp (VTA sp-14) and it seems to be burning in/mellowing out quite nicely.
I was a bit unsettled at first, as it seemed a bit bright and strident. That was not an effect I had from any previous DIY preamp builds I'd done.
It's as quiet as a church mouse lol. Seems to have a little bit more gain than I'm used to or need though.
It wasn't my first choice, and a bit more $ than I was looking to spend, but It satisfied the "DIY" itch...
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92384 is a reply to message #92379] Tue, 06 October 2020 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Fingers crossed. Noodling around, moving a terminal out from it's location a film cap leg from the gain pot just popped off from the terminal. It was a stretch originally getting it to span to the terminal, so I added some wire from it to the terminal. Later I checked one heavily populated terminal for the phono section that was very unfriendly getting it fixed back to the case. I must have spent 45 min to an hour trying to get a teeny lock washer and nut back on to the screw. I felt like Curly from the 3 Stooges, exasperated at doing the same thing over and over with a pair of needle nose pliers with a bit of magnetism holding on to the little parts when I didn't want it to. Yup, I'm paying my dues getting this thing to play right by me.
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92399 is a reply to message #92384] Thu, 08 October 2020 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, it is a bit difficult to see Shocked but it appears that all the input wires and output wires are not shielded. I have found that any time one needs to be longer than about 2 inches they have to be shielded to prevent hum. If you replace them with shielded wire remember to only ground the shield at one end unless it is actually carrying the ground return of the signal.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92403 is a reply to message #92399] Fri, 09 October 2020 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Guess he designed it that way Bruce. No insulators for the input/outputs, no ground ring for the outer sleeve. Guess the case carries the ground return. No shielded wire included in the kit. I emailed him about this hum/buzz. He says I must have an open or bad ground in the power supply. I thought I had it when the little film cap leg popped off the terminal, but, nope. No cigar yet. Very frustrating. His products sound great. So I figure it's my bad soldering skills.
Previous Topic: Guitar Amp
Next Topic: Solid State vs. Vacuum Amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:39:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout