Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Live music?
Live music? [message #92358] Thu, 01 October 2020 16:21 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I think most of us expect to hear live music when we go to a concert. How much of the performance needs to be live though? All the singing? All the instrumentals? Just some of each?
Re: Live music? [message #92360 is a reply to message #92358] Thu, 01 October 2020 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sammi40 is currently offline  sammi40
Viscount
Honestly for me I say ALL of it. Comcerts around me aren't cheap. If I am going to pay the big bucks for 2 tickets, I want all live music. I am an avid concert and live music fan and go to at least 5 concerts a summer.
Re: Live music? [message #92362 is a reply to message #92360] Fri, 02 October 2020 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
Maybe it's a generational thing, because I think the whole thing should be completely live, but I know my kids have been to concerts where parts of it were mimed, and they didn't seem bothered by it. But yeah, all the singing and instrumentals need to be live or it's not a concert. And if you can't do that, then you're a studio musician and shouldn't pretend to put on a live act.
Re: Live music? [message #92390 is a reply to message #92362] Wed, 07 October 2020 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
It depends on the genre. I expect most bands to play live, except for electronic groups. I don't think it's possible for most of them to create their sound live. They use too many gimmicks.
Re: Live music? [message #92394 is a reply to message #92390] Thu, 08 October 2020 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I wouldn't go to hear anything but real musicians playing real instruments. Apart from the electronics within their sound systems that impart some influence of the sound experience. The musician is using their skills with their instruments to create the outcome. The bulk of live performance I've seen doesn't lend itself to anything but the real deal. That's why it's called performing.
Re: Live music? [message #92397 is a reply to message #92394] Thu, 08 October 2020 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I've even seen rappers miming to the recorded music. I was absolutely horrified. Yes, they're running around on stage and that must take a lot of wind, but for goodness' sake they aren't even singing. Raping is just talking fast. My kiddos act like it's no big deal.
Re: Live music? [message #92423 is a reply to message #92397] Mon, 12 October 2020 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
Leot55, I've seen rappers do that too, and I was upset by it. T.I. is one of the last truly fast rappers, but I was startled when I realized he was rapping with a full pre-recorded tape in concert when singing Dead and Gone. I expected that Justin Timberlake's part would play through the tape, but not T.I.'s rap. It was obvious when he'd get winded and need to take an extra deep breath, but the rap would continue as usual when there should've been obvious pause due to his breathing. What's worse is that he wasn't running around on stage or dancing or doing anything that pop idols do that somewhat give them an allowance for using pre-recorded vocals. It was just so lame.
Re: Live music? [message #92439 is a reply to message #92362] Fri, 16 October 2020 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
[quote title=Porter wrote on Fri, 02 October 2020 15:48......................all the singing and instrumentals need to be live or it's not a concert. And if you can't do that, then you're a studio musician and shouldn't pretend to put on a live act.[/quote]

That is a good way of putting it. Kids these days just want to see and hear the singer and music of pop songs at the same time. Whether it's "live" or not doesn't seem to matter.
Re: Live music? [message #92495 is a reply to message #92439] Sat, 24 October 2020 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I think pop singers are giving a pass simply because they dance and put on a big performance. However, I distinctly remember Axl Rose running across the stage and still belting out the vocals. I remember Tommy Lee drumming live while in a cage in the air that turned him over and over. It absolutely was live drumming - you could hear it when he'd mess up from being too high to play. Of course, there are rare exceptions to the pop list. For instance, Madonna and Miley Cyrus typically perform live. They all should though!
Re: Live music? [message #92506 is a reply to message #92495] Sun, 25 October 2020 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
Strum I think you are right. Pop singers now seem to be given a pass. Motley and all the other Hair bands wouldn't have dreamed of that. I'm going to see Motley in August 2021. It was supposed to be in August 2020 but that crazy pandemic happened.
Previous Topic: Eric Church
Next Topic: Tried the new Vevo app?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:44:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout