Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 7 Pi & 4 Pi plans (Plans request)
7 Pi & 4 Pi plans [message #92137] Sat, 01 August 2020 18:26 Go to next message
srgb
Esquire
I'd appreciate it if you could send me the plans for the 4 Pi bass reflex model & the 7 Pi cornerhorns.

Thanks!
Sean
Re: 7 Pi & 4 Pi plans [message #92139 is a reply to message #92137] Sun, 02 August 2020 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Please pick which model you prefer and let me know. I'll send the plans after you've decided.

Usually, I suggest constant directivity cornerhorns if you have the right corners. But if you don't - or if you want to have speakers that are more versatile for a time when you might change homes - then chose DI-matched mains instead.
Re: 7 Pi & 4 Pi plans [message #92141 is a reply to message #92139] Sun, 02 August 2020 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
srgb
Esquire
Thanks for your response. I think I'd prefer the cornerhorns too, but am unsure if they're the better choice for my situation. I'm not sure if I've got the right corners.

My space is about 12' wide by 24' long with high cathedral ceilings that are ~12' high at the walls and rise to ~20+' in the middle of the room. The room widens to 16' at approximately its midpoint and is open to the rest of the main floor on one side. It's a relatively big space.

I'd like to put the 7 Pi's in the corners of the narrow 12' wall. My main listening spot would be ~10' back from the wall the corner horns would be placed against which should put me behind the apex where they meet which I understand to be ideal.

One potential issue is that I do have permanent bookshelves built in on that narrow wall. The speakers would sit just in front of these shelves. Would there be a problem if the rear wall was mainly a tall bookcase filled with books while the side walls were regular drywall? I hope that these might still be able to serve as the 'right' corners for cornerhorns.

I appreciate your help and look forward to seeing the plans of the speaker you think would serve best.

Regards,
Sean
Re: 7 Pi & 4 Pi plans [message #92142 is a reply to message #92141] Mon, 03 August 2020 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

All of that sounds perfect, except for the shelves. Those might be a problem. If they are between the speakers, they can actually help because they'll be diffusers. But if they're behind the speakers too - forcing the speakers to be moved away from the wall - then they will prevent the speakers from being acoustically close. That's a deal breaker.
Re: 7 Pi & 4 Pi plans [message #92143 is a reply to message #92142] Mon, 03 August 2020 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
srgb
Esquire
Again, thanks for your response. The shelves occupy much of that 12' wall, so they'd be both behind and between the speakers. If the speakers were toed in at 45-degrees, say, their 'rear outside' face would be against a regular drywalled wall but their 'rear inside' face would be against the bookshelf. If you think this could work with cornerhorns, please send the 7 Pi plans. If, however, you think this arrangement is a performance 'deal-breaker', as you say, please send the 4 Pi plans instead.

Thanks again,
Sean
Re: 7 Pi & 4 Pi plans [message #92144 is a reply to message #92143] Mon, 03 August 2020 12:02 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a deal breaker for constant-directivity cornerhorns so I'll send plans for the four Pi speakers instead. That will work very nicely for you in your room.

Also, please look at the "Room Effects and Loudspeaker Interactions" section of the Pi Speakers FAQ and maybe do some internet searches to study the "flanking sub" approach. The FAQ has several links to threads that describe some of the things we have touched upon here when deciding what speakers would work best in your room. You could add a pair of flanking subs as a future project and take your sound system to the next level.
Previous Topic: 4PI Plans
Next Topic: Which 4PI?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:34:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout