Home » Audio » LSAF » LSAF 2020 (Cancelled)
Re: LSAF 2020 [message #92028 is a reply to message #92027] Tue, 09 June 2020 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I live in a bbq prominent town with some fine smoked meats. Texas bbq has it's own unique character, with no sauce. Rudy's is some of the best ribs I've had the pleasure to gnaw on. Man.... the Pavlov dog effect is coming on.
Re: LSAF 2020 [message #92029 is a reply to message #92028] Tue, 09 June 2020 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Any chance you might come to LSAF this year? You're about three hours further than I am, so I know it's a stretch. But man, it's really great.

It's not like other audio shows with all the pretense and hustle and bustle. There's a little of that, but mostly it's just a bunch of buddies that hang out for a weekend every year. They're mostly hobbyists turned niche-companies with an appetite for nice stuff. Everyone brings a sample of their company's tasty treats.

(I guess with all the food analogies you can see that your Pavlovian influence has worked on me. Smile And it's getting close to lunchtime.)
Re: LSAF 2020 [message #92031 is a reply to message #92027] Tue, 09 June 2020 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

mightym wrote on Mon, 08 June 2020 18:29
MMM, Rudy's moist brisket. That stuff was yummy!

Soooo yummy!

It's meat candy! And no problem for blood sugar. Win-win!
Re: LSAF 2020 [message #92032 is a reply to message #92031] Tue, 09 June 2020 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wow. Thanks for the invite. I'll give it some serious consideration. I have a sister in the Austin area. That's how I got the Rudy experience. I could get two good deals out of the effort. Honestly I'm not into trade shows. I've been coerced going to new car and hot rod shows and after an hour I develop cataracts looking at the stuff. Even less tolerance to art galleries. I'll digress a minute, I went to the Chicago Art Institute gallery once. After being glazed over from a melange of stuffy classical art then insipid modern art. I happen to see a display of all things, rocket engines. They were fascinating, and aesthetically rather beautiful. That saved the whole shebang.
It'd be interesting to make crude comparisons from my audio gear to what is presented at the show. But as you mention, a hale and hearty commiseration with audiophiles without snooty pedigrees.
Re: LSAF 2020 [message #92033 is a reply to message #92032] Tue, 09 June 2020 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You know, I found Rudy's in Austin too. I was commuting from Tulsa to the Austin IBM Research Lab in 2006 and 2007, doing a project for Lucent / Bell Labs. It was a wonderful experience and one of many things I liked about Austin was Rudy's. I liked Austin and the people I worked with so much I considered moving there at that time.

There wasn't a Rudy's in Dallas back then. Furthest north was Waco. So LSAF in the 2000s was pre-Rudy's days. Sad But much to my extreme excitement and happiness, they opened one in Dallas in 2015. It's on I-75, just a few miles north of the hotel. I remember first seeing it as we approached the hotel and being elated.

If I didn't enjoy LSAF already so very much, I'd say come just 'cause you'll get a taste of Rudy's. That almost makes it worth the trip. But even better, all the LSAF rooms are just "so chill" to use a millennial's phrase. Or maybe that's a Gen-X phrase, I don't know. But to say it in our language, it's totally groovy cool. Cool

Hope to see you there.
Re: LSAF 2020 [message #92061 is a reply to message #92033] Wed, 24 June 2020 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
admin
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Administrator

The Embassy Suites has set us up with new dates for the show. So we're set!

The Lone Star Audiofest 2020 will be held October 16th, 17th & 18th, 2020.

Mark your calendar and make your reservations!
There's no difference in price between the exhibitors and the visitors. Both get the same great rate. We like to maintain two separate reservations groups so we can prioritize keeping the show rooms grouped together. That's the only difference between the two reservation links.

So if your room will be used to show gear, please make a reservation as an exhibitor. If you are not an exhibitor, please reserve your room as a visitor. And if you get two rooms - one to show and another for a sleeper - please reserve one room on the exhibitors link and another on the visitors link.

Re: LSAF 2020 [message #92222 is a reply to message #91174] Thu, 27 August 2020 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jtwrace is currently offline  jtwrace
Viscount
This is so tempting despite the odd conditions currently. The thought of holding down the Pi sofa and having some Rudy's at night is so darn appealing.

I presume as of now, masks are mandatory during the show?
Re: LSAF 2020 [message #92228 is a reply to message #92222] Fri, 28 August 2020 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm with you on that! I'm ready for Rudy's and hangin' out with all my audio buddies!

I keep in contact with the hotel, and right now a little over half of our normal regular exhibitors have made their reservations. This is actually pretty normal because many of our regulars don't reserve their rooms until right before the show every year. So we are seeing normal behavior in terms of reservations.

But I think probably the difference will be seen this month. I think some of those that usually reserve late will decide against it and others will cancel. I may be wrong, but that is my suspicion based on reactions from the regular LSAF exhibitors in June.

Some of our folks are concerned mask-wearers, and others are not. Many think the health concerns are over-exaggerated. Pretty much just like everywhere - We have a variety of opinions in our group.

There is a mask mandate in the state of Texas. I'm not sure if it will still be in effect in October or not.

But I know that in Arkansas and Oklahoma, there are also state mandates. They rarely enforce those mandates though, and in many areas, there aren't laws in effect with a mechanism for enforcement. Similarly, many retailers in every state have a policy of requiring masks and social distancing. But they are told not to approach customers that don't wear masks. I haven't asked the hotel how they would act towards our guests, but I suspect it would be the same.

What I definitely don't want to see is our friends turning on one another. But you know how audiophiles are. We're perfectionists and we're opinionated. Many are a little bit controlling. So I fear that we might see lots of arguments and bickering could spoil the show.

All that said, I'm still waiting to see what happens in the next few weeks. Whatever we decide, we'll announce here.
Re: LSAF 2020 [message #92229 is a reply to message #91174] Fri, 28 August 2020 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jtwrace is currently offline  jtwrace
Viscount
Sounds good and I will wait for further announcements. Airfare is beyond cheap - $100 RT
Re: LSAF 2020 [message #92320 is a reply to message #91174] Tue, 15 September 2020 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
admin
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Administrator

Regrettably we have made the decision to cancel LSAF 2020. We have asked the hotel to cancel any reservations associated with this event, but it might be worthwhile to confirm this with the hotel if you have already made reservations.

Many of us have expressed our sad feelings about the need to do this. And to tell the truth, we're not just concerned about the health scare. We're at least as concerned about the ways some people would react to one another. Some would get into disagreements - even some heated arguments - about how to enforce health safety. The mask-wearers and the non-maskers would argue, and then all sorts of other pseudo-political arguments would surface too.

So we're going to cancel LSAF 2020 and put our focus on LSAF 2021. It will be scheduled for June 4th, 5th and 6th.

Previous Topic: Virtual Audio Show
Next Topic: LSAF 2021
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:28:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout