Home » Audio » Radio » What does the future hold?
What does the future hold? [message #88836] Mon, 17 September 2018 11:12 Go to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
There are many platforms (like Spotify of Deezer) that are growing in popularity each passing day but it seems that the best way to discover new music still remains to be through the radio. Is there a chance that Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) may soon replace FM broadcasting?
Re: What does the future hold? [message #88893 is a reply to message #88836] Thu, 27 September 2018 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
I think there is a possibility. Your question is similar to the question I made regarding social media retiring radio stations when people will opt for DAB. We will see about this matter when 5G becomes the norm.
Re: What does the future hold? [message #88902 is a reply to message #88893] Thu, 27 September 2018 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I doubt it. DAB via something like 5G will mandate that you have a compatible device and service account for using it and maybe even for the DAB programming. If like all things new...the cost will be high. When FM is free and what many folks don't know is that many cell phones are capable of receiving it (just requires the proper app). It will not cut into your "minutes" etc. Plus there are really a lot of folks that just like to have the radio running in the home or office and like to hear local information. DAB would probably not cater to them. In a hundred years...who knows (they will probably put chips in our heads at birth Confused ), but I figure as long as there are listeners and sponsors to pay for it FM and indeed AM will continue to exist.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: What does the future hold? [message #88908 is a reply to message #88836] Sun, 30 September 2018 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
I also don't think that anything will deal a killer blow to the FM radios, as long as the latter remains free. I think that radio technology has evolved over time and most people love to tune in so as to get updated with current affairs and all.
Re: What does the future hold? [message #88987 is a reply to message #88836] Wed, 10 October 2018 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
Okay, I have to concur with both of you because people don't switch easily to a new technology, except for iPhones. I thought FM stations pay some fees to the communication department of the government to maintain their channel so it is not totally free.
Re: What does the future hold? [message #91002 is a reply to message #88836] Wed, 02 October 2019 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I think what the future will hold is more and more options. With the exception to what cell phones did to the landline, new technology never totally snuffs out the equivalent old technology.
Re: What does the future hold? [message #91042 is a reply to message #88836] Mon, 07 October 2019 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JordanS is currently offline  JordanS
Chancellor
I really do think that radio stations (at least local stations) will dwindle. I guess I do try to listen to local sporting events on the radio (AM stations). If I want to catch the news, I go online, or to the TV.
Re: What does the future hold? [message #91076 is a reply to message #91042] Sun, 13 October 2019 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Airforce 3 is currently offline  Airforce 3
Viscount
I'm kind of the opposite of that, in that I turn on the radio when I want news. I would rather not have video with the audio when it comes to news.
Re: What does the future hold? [message #91869 is a reply to message #88836] Fri, 15 May 2020 10:06 Go to previous message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
FM and AM bands will always remain a failsafe in my opinion. An option that is there "just in case". Same as shortwave.

There are people in the generation before me, my generation and the generation coming up who do not gravitatte to whatever is new. This includes this subject. There are 20 somethings that are just fine owning flip phones for example.

The future will hold about the same mix of new tech. and old tech as there is now. Me thiks.
Previous Topic: Refurbishing '60's or 70's Era Stereos
Next Topic: How to enhance the bass in your car stereo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:11:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout