Home » Audio » Speaker » DIY JBL 2226H + DE250 Based Speaker
DIY JBL 2226H + DE250 Based Speaker [message #91791] Wed, 29 April 2020 11:21 Go to next message
dkalsi is currently offline  dkalsi
Esquire
I have a pair of JBL 2226H at home along with a pair of B&C DE250.

I also have plenty of crossover parts on hand. The only thing I need to make a 4pi speakers is the waveguide.

BUT - I already have a pair of 4Pi speakers and wanted to experiment with something different.

I have a pair of QSC HPR152i clones. They are 14"x10" horns.

Any thoughts of whether I can make this combination work? I don't want to start making sawdust if there some obvious signs that it can't work.

Specifically, I am concerned about center-to-center distance between the CD+Horn and the Woofer. I've read before that the CtC distance should not exceed the crossover frequency. I'm curious about what the crossover frequency is for the 4pi speakers.

The closest I can get the center to center distance is possible...possibly...12 inches, and that's with overlapping the horn and rear mounting the woofer.

Doable? Thoughts?

Re: DIY JBL 2226H + DE250 Based Speaker [message #91794 is a reply to message #91791] Wed, 29 April 2020 17:05 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Seems like the Econowave folks did that combination for a while. If memory serves, it was very nice. It would naturally have a narrower forward lobe in the vertical dimension, as you've rightly inferred from the horn height and requisite driver spacing.

My suggestion is to build it! Do an A/B comparison, both listening and measuring!
Previous Topic: Headphone/mic combo
Next Topic: Cleaning up bass
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 20:29:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout