Home » xyzzy » Tower » Self Isolation
Self Isolation [message #91575] Wed, 18 March 2020 07:22 Go to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
The self-isolation started about a week ago. Seems every place I traveled had sick people ... not necessarily the corona virus but they were still pretty sick. Don't really care what they had, I didn't want it. Seemed like a good time to stay at home and listen to music. Since then most of everything has been officially shut down - restaurants, bars, movies, malls, etc. There's no choice in the matter now.

Bought paint supplies. One more coat and I've finished painting a bathroom closet that probably hasn't been painted in decades. Turns out it looks a whole lot better so I'd recommend doing it every 40 or 50 years - whether it needs it or not. Smile

Will take a few days off then hit the trim in one of the bedrooms. Have to move furniture for that job so it'll be done in sections. No biggie, I'm home ...

How are you coping with being at home? What's your plan to stay sane?
Re: Self Isolation [message #91576 is a reply to message #91575] Wed, 18 March 2020 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
No problem for me, I'm retired now. And in that range of age for bad outcomes with the new plague. More than anything, this national abstinence from one another is the single best weapon against it. Glad I am a retiree, I would have to be in the thick of it if I were still hitting the clock. Glad you're being constructive with your idle time. Me, I got some lollygagging to attend to.
Re: Self Isolation [message #91580 is a reply to message #91576] Wed, 18 March 2020 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I dunno, guys.

I know "they" tell me this "new virus" is really serious. I know that there have been many times through history when a virus really was serious. And I also know that I have a tendency towards being a "damn the torpedoes" kind of guy. So I take my own thoughts with a grain of salt.

But isn't every season's flu a "new virus"?

I can't help sensing this is a huge over-reaction. If so many people aren't being tested - either because they are young and not symptomatic or because clinics didn't have testing supplies and turned away someone that was ill but not critically ill - if so many that are infected aren't being tested, then those numbers aren't being reported.

If many non-symptomatic infected aren't being reported, then the only ones that are being reported are those that are very ill. Naturally, those are the ones that are most likely to die. So the mortality rate must be over-represented. It really can't be any other way.

So how bad is this disease, really?

I guess time will tell.
Re: Self Isolation [message #91584 is a reply to message #91580] Thu, 19 March 2020 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well that's been a big part of the problem. Rolling out testing to get ahead of the curve. As Dr. Fauci confirmed in a congressional hearing. Calling it a 'failing'. The administration was in denial for weeks in hopes the markets wouldn't go ballistic. They did anyway. Now the administration is gung ho, over the top. Our health care system operates on a slim margin of supplies and staffing. It can be easily overwhelmed if this crud get's established in the population. So, at least the isolation is the easiest and most effective means to mitigate that. Still, though testing is spotty in this country. It's absurd. The covid 19 is a new, (novel) variant of virus. Other established virus mutate surely. This one has no immunity yet, save for the people in remission from contracting it.
It does seem surreal, the mania that has occurred though. I hope, like the sars virus, this one tamps down soon that life once again renews.
Re: Self Isolation [message #91734 is a reply to message #91575] Tue, 21 April 2020 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
The best we can do is what the medical professionals advise and let them do their work to get this under control.

The best that politicians can do is throw money at something they don't understand.

It's not a good mix.
Re: Self Isolation [message #91737 is a reply to message #91734] Tue, 21 April 2020 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quote:

Nouri
The best we can do is what the medical professionals advise and let them do their work to get this under control.

The best that politicians can do is throw money at something they don't understand.

It's not a good mix.
I think so too. Then you see ding-a-lings protesting as a crowd, brandishing their tattoo's and semi-auto's for ending the stay at home. Meanwhile some not so small public traded companies are crowding out the mom & pop's for some of that government money.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/21/large-public-companies-are-taking-small-businesses-payroll-loans.html Wells Fargo, one of the most disreputable and fined low brow banks in the country is getting sued for shuffling small business loans down the pile for more profitable larger company loans to get in line ahead of them. Before the money ran out.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/04/19/wells-fargo-lawsuit-small-business-ppp-loans/5162801002/
Man, there's just no end to the depravity.
Re: Self Isolation [message #91741 is a reply to message #91737] Wed, 22 April 2020 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Since I don't want to find out how bad the virus can be we are playing it safe and pretty much staying home. There really are few places we could go if we thought it was wise.

I really wonder what the nuts with guns think they are going to do? Shoot doctors, shoot politicians or just shoot anyone they want to. My personal opinion is they need to be locked up or sent to a nut house. Sorry for being so blunt, but IMO they are way out of control.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Self Isolation [message #91742 is a reply to message #91741] Thu, 23 April 2020 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with you, 100% Everybody is out of control. Both sides have their nut cases.

I think it's fear, probably. Some of us are afraid of losing their livelihood, others of losing their health or even life. Many of us are afraid of both.
Re: Self Isolation [message #91743 is a reply to message #91742] Thu, 23 April 2020 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Seems these days. Even a national/worldwide disaster is politicized. We can't even agree how to prolong and defend against a dispassionate, uncomprehending enemy. People with the training and knowledge are discounted in favor of conspiratorial wisdom. And factions align along familiar political lines. Maybe this familiarity is comforting in the face of fear and insecurity. Now's a time when leadership is needed to be understanding and consistant.
Re: Self Isolation [message #91744 is a reply to message #91743] Thu, 23 April 2020 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, but, in fairness, I think part of the problem is that even scientists and doctors that study this kind of thing admit to not knowing what to expect. They're on the front end of their learning curves here. So they're making educated guesses, and some of those are naturally going to be wrong. They adjust their working model as they learn. That's perfectly reasonable, and truly, the only honest way to study a new problem. Nobody can pretend to know the facts before they've honestly studied, especially when the subject is new and novel.

I personally think the biggest problem is people are expecting an answer, and they're quick to blame people that make "mistakes." But this is, in itself, the biggest mistake of all, in my opinion. The only way to learn anything is to start with a hypothesis and test it. And really, a hypothesis is sort of a guess. We're all guessing here.

A hypothesis may or may not be wrong, and if its found to be wrong, then we've learned something. To blame the person making the hypothesis that turns out to be wrong is to simply sit in judgement. Real easy to do that, but I think it's the biggest mistake of all.

Some say this virus is really dangerous, and that it is going to have killed a large number of people before we find a way to treat it. Those people say we should quarantine ourselves until we find a cure or at least a treatment.

Others say it doesn't look like it is all that bad, at least by the initial numbers. They say the annual flu kills more people. And they say the damage this quarantine is doing to the economy is worse than the virus.

I don't really think that either side is wrong. I think that both are probably right, at least to some degree. I myself, lean towards the thought that the quarantine is worse than the virus. But I have some really good friends whose opinions I trust that are genuinely concerned about the lethality of this virus.

What I guess bothers me the most is how ugly some people get when defending their hypothesis. We all forget that we're all essentially guessing. And we sometimes get really tied to our guesses, not wanting to be "wrong." But to have a guess and then to later find out that the guess was wrong is absolutely OK. It's the path to honest learning.

Everyone thought the world was flat and the center of the universe just a few hundred years back. That's only about a dozen generations, not that long ago. We thought the stars were set upon a layer, like an egg shell. That's quite OK. We learned and we adjusted our mental models to match what we saw.

The same thing will happen here eventually. We will have learned how lethal this thing is, and we will have learned what to do about it. Only then can any of us really know. That old silly saying that "hindsight is 20/20" is not really all that silly. It's one of the few absolute truths.
Previous Topic: Do You Budget For This?
Next Topic: Dayum
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:20:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout