Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Car Stereo In The House
Car Stereo In The House [message #91735] Tue, 21 April 2020 14:53 Go to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
Do you think there is a way to re-do a car stereo along with the speakers to where it sounds good in your house? Or is there not enough power in a car unit?
Re: Car Stereo In The House [message #91736 is a reply to message #91735] Tue, 21 April 2020 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A good car stereo is pretty much the same in quality as a good integrated receiver.

The part that is different is the speakers. A car stereo speaker is generally designed either to be used in a trunk - in which case it needs a really large box - or it is designed to be used in a door - in which case it needs a really small box.

On top of that, the environment of a car makes the sound field be dominated by reflections, so phase relationships are all over the place. As a result, a car speaker doesn't really need attention to things like the position of the forward lobe, because that is almost meaningless in a car stereo installation.

Long story short - I would probably not use car speakers in a house.
Re: Car Stereo In The House [message #91740 is a reply to message #91735] Wed, 22 April 2020 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Many car units are quite powerful. It is worth a try. An AC to DC "brick" putting out 12 vdc at say 5 or more amps ought to be suitable. They are cheap. Then just get some speakers to use on it. I have seen a number of rather decent speakers on the Parts Express web site. Some of their own Dayton brand would likely be fine. I don't know how they can make some of the 2 way book shelf ones for as inexpensively as they do. Naturally you can diy your own (probably cost more) or buy higher quality ones.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Car Stereo In The House [message #92386 is a reply to message #91735] Tue, 06 October 2020 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
I had an old friend from high school who did this in his garage. His car got totaled and he really loved his stereo, so he kept it and repurposed it for his garage. Sounded really good from what I can remember.
Re: Car Stereo In The House [message #92600 is a reply to message #92386] Sat, 14 November 2020 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
This sounds pretty cool, actually. I could see my kids doing this in our garage. It would be a neat project for them to try. I have no idea how it would sound.
Re: Car Stereo In The House [message #92686 is a reply to message #91735] Sat, 28 November 2020 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Airforce 3 is currently offline  Airforce 3
Viscount
Aside from the volume they can achieve I always thought car stereos, specifically the speakers, were designed with the limited space of a car in mind.

Maybe I was wrong?
Re: Car Stereo In The House [message #92689 is a reply to message #92686] Sun, 29 November 2020 09:49 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's definitely true for the speakers. Most are designed to be placed in one of two places - the trunk or the door. Each has a very different alignment to achieve that.

Those that are designed to be placed in the rear deck have an alignment that makes them suitable for infinite baffle. They need the large trunk space behind them to sound good. They'll have full, rich bass when mounted in a large box, having a large rear chamber. But they'll sound terrible when placed anywhere else. Most 6" x 9" car speakers are made this way.

Speakers designed to be placed in a door panel have an alignment that makes them suitable for placement in a small enclosure. They cannot produce as much deep bass, but they sound best when mounted in a place with a smaller rear chamber.
Previous Topic: Under or On The Wall
Next Topic: Creating a Projector at Home
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 02:39:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout