Home » Audio » Home Theater » Powered soundbars
Re: Powered soundbars [message #91552 is a reply to message #91550] Sat, 14 March 2020 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
My home theater Sawyer is kind of cobbled together from years ago. The mains, center and sub I'd had already built or built for. I used amps I had to power all. So using my Franken system requires turning everything on manually, and run through the 5.1 dvd player. I'd gotten to the point of not buying any dvd's or even using it much anymore. A soundbar is merely an easy means to get better sound through these new smart tv's. They're so skinny that the speakers within can't begin to create worthwhile sound. I'm becoming an old fart and just want something simple and most of all, useful.
Re: Powered soundbars [message #91591 is a reply to message #91550] Thu, 19 March 2020 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Sometimes it's an either/or game. Many modern televisions (and soundbars too) come with options such as "enhance spoken dialogue," and "increase audio depth." Tinker around with those options first to see if it helps.

Soundbars are usually pretty cheap, so there's not much risk in rolling the dice. I've never heard anyone complain about the one they bought or I'd tell you which ones to avoid. My grandfather is heard of hearing, so I bought him a ZVOX AccuVoice AV200 Soundbar which wasn't a brand I recognized, but it was talked up by AARP so he wanted it. It was a little less than $200 and it looks pretty cheap, but it's still going strong after three years or so, which is amazing because the cats and dogs aren't shy about rubbing on it. Most soundbars are pretty simple to set up, however this one doesn't have an HDMI port. That meant taking a few extra steps for me, but it wasn't a big deal.

I have to say that the dialogue really is easier to understand, especially when they're whispering or talking low. I don't have golden ears, but as someone who can already hear normally, I find the enhancement annoying after a while. My grandfather loves it though because he can finally hear the dialogue over the sound effects and background music, which is something that caused him frustration before. He also likes using the Output Leveling feature which prevents commercials from being louder than the show. Overall, he's very happy with it!

It's an either/or soundbar - music sounds below average. Not a big deal while watching a show, but not the best for just listening to your music collection.

I have a soundbar at home with Dolby Atmos that's supposed to mimic surround sound which you've already said you aren't looking for. To be honest, it's a fancy device that isn't any better than the $200-$400 models. But then again, I don't have golden ears.

Re: Powered soundbars [message #91593 is a reply to message #91591] Fri, 20 March 2020 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Muy mucho grande Madison. Thanks for the information. I'll look into those ZVOX units. I'm with grandpa. I don't need a cinematic experience. Just comprehension.
Re: Powered soundbars [message #91598 is a reply to message #91591] Sat, 21 March 2020 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
Madison wrote on Thu, 19 March 2020 22:02
Sometimes it's an either/or game. Many modern televisions (and soundbars too) come with options such as "enhance spoken dialogue," and "increase audio depth." Tinker around with those options first to see if it helps.

Soundbars are usually pretty cheap, so there's not much risk in rolling the dice. I've never heard anyone complain about the one they bought or I'd tell you which ones to avoid. My grandfather is heard of hearing, so I bought him a ZVOX AccuVoice AV200 Soundbar which wasn't a brand I recognized, but it was talked up by AARP so he wanted it. It was a little less than $200 and it looks pretty cheap, but it's still going strong after three years or so, which is amazing because the cats and dogs aren't shy about rubbing on it. Most soundbars are pretty simple to set up, however this one doesn't have an HDMI port. That meant taking a few extra steps for me, but it wasn't a big deal.

I have to say that the dialogue really is easier to understand, especially when they're whispering or talking low. I don't have golden ears, but as someone who can already hear normally, I find the enhancement annoying after a while. My grandfather loves it though because he can finally hear the dialogue over the sound effects and background music, which is something that caused him frustration before. He also likes using the Output Leveling feature which prevents commercials from being louder than the show. Overall, he's very happy with it!

It's an either/or soundbar - music sounds below average. Not a big deal while watching a show, but not the best for just listening to your music collection.

I have a soundbar at home with Dolby Atmos that's supposed to mimic surround sound which you've already said you aren't looking for. To be honest, it's a fancy device that isn't any better than the $200-$400 models. But then again, I don't have golden ears.

I agree that most soundbars are cheap, though there are pricey ones as well. The output leveling feature is one that I would love to explore. Does a soundbar wattage matter? How do you settle for the best quality?
Re: Powered soundbars [message #91620 is a reply to message #91598] Tue, 24 March 2020 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joyce is currently offline  Joyce
Chancellor
As far as I know, wattage has nothing to do with sound quality. It's probably better to look at the sensitivity, frequency covered, or even the channels, but those can still be misleading. I also think it's important to remember that soundbars aren't really made for impressive sound quality.
Re: Powered soundbars [message #91919 is a reply to message #91620] Wed, 20 May 2020 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
@Rusty, did you ever pull the trigger on a soundbar? I'd love to hear which model you went with and how it all worked out if you did.
Re: Powered soundbars [message #91922 is a reply to message #91919] Thu, 21 May 2020 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hi Madison. Since the covid commotion has occurred I've shelved the search for a soundbar. Not saying I've blown off the idea totally. Just with the restricted retail opportunities I gone on a holding pattern. Now that the spigots are opening up, I'll get back on hunt. I'll post when I get a bead on something.
Re: Powered soundbars [message #93936 is a reply to message #91485] Wed, 16 June 2021 22:42 Go to previous message
noodle is currently offline  noodle
Viscount
I've had the Polk Signa S1 for the past couple of years. It's synched up with my TV remote so I don't have to power it separately. Good sound, super simple remote, and reasonably priced.
Previous Topic: Streaming or DVD.
Next Topic: Logitech to end Harmony line
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:27:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout